Virgin East Coast 31% increase

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• penfold69
    Participant

I have received an email today from Virgin East Coast advising that their Scottish Executive fare is increasing to £329 return from January. The fare is currently £250, and was £240 3months ago, and it was £229 at the start of the year. So, 3 price increases in a year, with the latest being 31% on the last fare. This is a fully flexible return fare only valid on Virgin East Coast, and is in 1st class. The service is to remain the same as previously, so nothing extra offered for the increase.

I do prefer the train between Edinburgh & London, but this will change my habits, especially with so many options with flights between the two. This certainly makes flights a lot more price competitive to the train, and flying is quicker.

My question is, how many of you would choose to travel by train or plane between Edinburgh and London and what would be your main reasons for choosing either. Would you also let such a large price-hike pout you off? Even if you are not paying personally.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

penfold69 – Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The fact is that this ticket is not “fully flexible” as you claim otherwise VTEC would not have been allowed by the govt to increase the price to this extent.

As I’ve written on many occasions this Scottish Executive ticket is a promo fare. It comes with restrictions. I agree they are not onerous but, nevertheless, restrictions do apply.

VTEC charges as much as £465/£473 for a fully flexible first class return. An off-peak first class return costs £372.

As you may know, VTEC (90% operated by Stagecoach and just 10% by Virgin) must pay the govt over £3 billion in fees during the life of its franchise.

As regulated fares are capped by the govt VTEC must hike unregulated fares to raise the necessary cash.

And there is a trend to increase some off-peak fares by stealth. In other words, some TOCs have “increased” the price by restricting the hours in which they can be used as I mentioned in our latest issue. Note: paywall applies.

Rail: Blurred lines

The question of whether it’s better to fly or take the train between Scotland and London is complex.

It will depend on many factors. Two examples:

* Where do you live and/or work in relation to the airport/train station at either end of the route.

* How long is the trip ? If it’s a day trip then rail travel can be tough and especially if Kings X or Edinburgh Waverley are inconvenient.

Also one must consider the Caledonian Sleeper. I agree that today’s rolling stock is decades old. But more comfortable trains are expected to be in service in a couple of years’ time.

Caledonian Sleeper to acquire luxurious rolling stock

Caledonian Sleeper unveils prototype cabins

canucklad
    Participant

My work is located on the A4 and I live in West Lothian so flying is far more convenient, cheaper and generally more reliable than the train.
    Sadly I have to jump through blazing hoops before I’m allowed to fly!!

This price hike really surprises because of the competition, yet on the other hand it doesn’t.
    The Rail companies in this country truly are a bunch of charlatans, and seem to have impunity to treat their customers with sheer and utter contempt.
    And yet our government seems to think that investing the family jewels in HS2 will help all of us.

I’m currently traipsing up and down the country using a variety of transport, and I intend to share my diary of high points, low points and downright hellish experiences once my travel obligations are concluded.

JohnHarper
    Participant

A member of our team who has recently taken over the client work I used to do in both Edinburgh and Newcastle was telling me that he thinks BA and Virgin East coast are monitoring each other’s fares.

He reported that particularly for Newcastle where there is no competition from a low cost carrier from LGW on every day he looks the fares on the train or plane are within a couple of pounds of each other. Edinburgh offers a better choice because of the presence of the LGW-EDI option with easyJet.

Something may be quite rotten along the east coast.

Glad I’m out of it.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Noticed their 3 increases in one year – and only buy cheap day returns! Obviously no regulator on the railways! The previous East Coast mainine was better so return to nationalised railways – and more conservative uniforms! All are subsidised anyhow!
    Only a matter of time before an airline competes, business class from Scotland would be cheaper, quicker and better service too.

MrMichael
    Participant

Hi John Harper, surely any business checking the prices of competitors and changing ones own to match or beat or be close to is a reasonable business practice? I advise my clients to check the competition (including different modes of transport) regularly to ensure they do not price themselves out of the market.

The other option, and when you say something is rotten on the East Coast I am guessing you do not mean the old fish market of Grimsby but you refer to a stitch up or cartel. Such anti competitive behaviour would indeed be rotten and if it is the case I hope they get caught. I know BA and Virgin have been embroiled in such shenanigans before, I recall on freight rates, Virgin whistleblew on themselves thus protecting themselves and dropping BA in it from a great height.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls