Virgin Atlantic – What's in a name ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• iflypremium
    Participant

When VS began flying in 1984, it’s primary ambition was to be a Transatlantic airline.

Over the decades, as it’s global reach has expanded, it serves more than just Transatlantic markets.

Is it not high time to drop the “Atlantic” part of the name and rebrand as Virgin Airways ?

With the advent of the flybe merger and flights that are not even 1000 miles near the Atlantic Ocean,surely a name change would make sense ?

While we are at it, BA should become London Airways !

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=919027]Is it not high time to drop the “Atlantic” part of the name and rebrand as Virgin Airways ?[/quote]

I’d say that companies re-brand at they peril, customer loyalty and finickness all have to be considered.

When CP dropped Pacific it seemed to lose a huge part of its soul, same when Northwest dropped Orient.

Would Cathay be the same without Pacific, and an even more extreme case in point , Qantas ?

2 users thanked author for this post.

travelsforfun
    Participant

Agree, no sense in rebranding, the name reflects its history and the brand is strong (and the “Atlantic” is handy to distinguish from current and future Virgin-branded airlines!).

In any case, following the Delta deal, VS has heavily refocused itself on the transatlantic market – so I’d argue that the name is even more apt than it has been for a long time.

1 user thanked author for this post.

iflypremium
    Participant

BA flies all over the US and is hand in glove with AA.
    Doesn’t mean they will become British American !

kershcliff
    Participant

[quote quote=919162]BA flies all over the US and is hand in glove with AA.

Doesn’t mean they will become British American ![/quote]

Or….British South of Watford

WilliamRead
    Participant

If Richard Branson now has no part in the ownership and management of Virgin Atlantic, perhaps the iconic Virgin logo should be ditched?

TominScotland
    Participant

Five BA aircraft overnight at both EDI and GLA for much of the week – seems a fairly committed North of Watford service to me

3 users thanked author for this post.

kershcliff
    Participant

[quote quote=919190]Five BA aircraft overnight at both EDI and GLA for much of the week – seems a fairly committed North of Watford service to me[/quote]

Do they fly to anywhere other than London?
    Probably not (like here in Manchester)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=919188]If Richard Branson now has no part in the ownership and management of Virgin Atlantic, perhaps the iconic Virgin logo should be ditched?[/quote]

I am sure the brand was a consideration when selling the business. Would the airline be as successful if it were to take on a new brand? What would u suggest VA rebrands to?

Stuart
    Participant

Perhaps Virgin Atlanta might be more appropriate now given Delta’s status as largest shareholder.

capetonianm
    Participant

A moment of light humour :

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls