Virgin Atlantic Slashes Surcharges, Lowers Reward Price

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

LeTigre
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I know that there are many FC members on this forum, so perhaps you would benefit from knowing that there is a sale on, with the miles needed for economy redemptions reduced by at least 25%. I believe this offer is available for the next couple of weeks, for travel dates up to 11 months from now. I believe this includes most routes.

Even better…

…they have also slashed fuel surcharges significantly, in what appears to be a permanent change to the system. The new pricing means that VS significantly undercuts BA, for example VS charge £240 rtn to NYC, with BA charging £359.

There’s more information and commentary at Head for Points here:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2013/06/02/virgin-cuts-fuel-surcharges-on-economy-redemptions-now-38-143-lower-than-ba/

and don’t forget to read the offer details when you login to the flying club.

VK might finally be able to use his miles! Or will they have mysteriously disappeared already…?

LeTigre
    Participant

Oh, and they’ve taken a third off the miles booster fees too.

http://www.headforpoints.com/2013/05/30/virgins-improved-miles-booster-now-worth-a-look/

Looks like the avios and flying club offers will really be quite good value.

MarcusUK
    Participant

I checked some routes, the charges were still up to £340+ for an economy return. To purchase a fare seat was £590!

Only Economy sale…

Nothing new here…and they did increase HKG, CPT and many other routes by 20 % Miles needed last year.

LeTigre
    Participant

Yes, but the point is that the surcharges have come down significantly, meaning that on some routes miles are good value. Travellers with both VS and BA FFP will be able to use VS redemptions considerably more.

Remember that Delta doesn’t have any surcharges at all on reward flights, so this may be an encouraging sign.

Cloud-9
    Participant

Perhaps Branson has been reading the BT forum…

VintageKrug
    Participant

LeTigre
    Participant

More changes…

The admin fee for miles booster has now been removed, meaning that miles can be purchased for 1p each (less if factor bonuses in). Looks like they are reviewing the whole scheme of charges, and this can only be welcomed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls