Virgin Atlantic removes Manchester-India services from its inventory

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

News of this development emerged a few hours ago.

Virgin Atlantic has yet to confirm the news officially.

But reports from India state that bookings are no longer possible for the two routes from Manchester to Mumbai and Delhi.

Both had been scheduled to launch in January (Mumbai had been postponed from this month).

UK travel agents have been informed.

No reason has yet been provided.

It’s a blow for Manchester which hoped these routes would compensate for the loss of Jet Airways.

Virgin Atlantic launches flights from India to Manchester

SimonS1
    Participant

Proves once again that the traffic for such point to point flights doesn’t exist.

Hence the rather pointless argument promoted by those who think BA should operate long haul services from the regions.

In fact I recall Virgin has a union jack somewhere in the livery….doesn’t that make it a flag carrier?

transtraxman
    Participant

SimonS1 #1044222

“Proves once again that the traffic for such point to point flights doesn’t exist.”
    That is based on a false assumption. Why would Virgin Atlantic programme flights to Delhi and Mumbai if it did not see demand?I must point out that your comment comes one day after launching its first flight to Pakistan from Manchester – Islamabad.On top of which Virgin Atlantic also restarted a service to barbados from M/c.The analytical teams in each airline look at the possible demand (passenger and cargo) for different destinations and the potential profitibility of each. It seems that in the changed circumstances of 2020 the demand experienced by the airline for Mumbai and Delhi was lower that expected (or could cannabalise its services from Heathrow).

Aer Lingus is setting up a UK airline to fly 3 routes from Manchester to the USA all codeshared with BA. This is the cheap way of setting up a network (you sell it, others fly it). But I do not think that is the end of it. There are more destinations on offer in North America and the Caribbean, while everybody forgets about East, West and South Africa. Then Singapore, Hong Kong and Tokyo are musts with the possible addition of Seoul and other destinations in China (Shanghai?)

The catchment area for Manchester airport is almost as large as that for Heathrow – it stretches from North Wales to Hull, from Stoke to Cumbria, from Sheffield to Teeside. It is larger than the whole population of Scotland or Ireland. Thus I am convinced that an airline network set up in Manchester would be needed and could be viable. I am not saying that such a network has to be BA led. It could be based on alliances, oneworld, Star and Skyteam or a combination of them. Here we are looking at the needs of passengers (and cargo), not pandering to any one airline´s interests.

“Hence the rather pointless argument promoted by those who think BA should operate long haul services from the regions.
    In fact I recall Virgin has a union jack somewhere in the livery….doesn’t that make it a flag carrier?” The Union Flag on the tailplane of Virgin Atlantic aircraft owes more to the 2% shares that Richard Branson holds over and above Delta Airlines than to any strategy designed by the bearded one. Delta runs the airline for its own interests. That is most clear. So British? I doubt it.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I expect the VS publicity department would not wish negative news to spoil its B747 farewells.

But I must say these two cancellations for India have been made rather late in the day.

I have checked the VS website and all flight inventory for these routes has been removed.

However I ought to say that VS’ new Manchester-Islamabad service has been launched.

bluemooner
    Participant

Given that Manchester and most of the North of England have been in the highest tiers of Covid restrictions for months, is it any surprise that passenger numbers are not there or am I missing something? Perhaps more long haul flights from Manchester will be forthcoming if/when things normalise.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I have found the confirmation buried within Vaflightstore.com

This is a VS website available to the travel trade and not the consumer.

https://www.vaflightstore.com/news/manchester-to-mumbai-and-delhi-launch-cancelled/

The excuse being given is Covid-19.

On the other hand the statement also says “We remain committed to our Manchester home and have recently resumed operations to Barbados, with further routes to the Caribbean and US commencing in the coming weeks.”

VS has just launched Manchester-Islamabad.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1045182]That is based on a false assumption. Why would Virgin Atlantic programme flights to Delhi and Mumbai if it did not see demand?I must point out that your comment comes one day after launching its first flight to Pakistan from Manchester – Islamabad.On top of which Virgin Atlantic also restarted a service to barbados from M/c.The analytical teams in each airline look at the possible demand (passenger and cargo) for different destinations and the potential profitibility of each. It seems that in the changed circumstances of 2020 the demand experienced by the airline for Mumbai and Delhi was lower that expected (or could cannabalise its services from Heathrow).[/quote]

Programming services means nothing. It is only operating them profitably that counts. Which clearly they can’t do.

The point about cannibalisation is true and exactly why BA don’t do it.

Re Islamabad – indeed, there is demand, especially with the issues around PIA and their fake licenses. However there is a big difference between a couple of opportunistic routes and a “network”.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls