Virgin Atlantic Original Upper class 38″ pitch

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• Mark
    Participant

Virgin really looked after its Premium passengers in those early years.
    Lots of extra goodies were thrown about I believe.
    Catering for Upper was from Maximes of Paris.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Mark
    Participant

Here we go.
    Resized for upload at last.

1 user thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I think the most unusual Virgin flight I had was in the 80’s. Maastricht, where I lived at the time, to Gatwick. I think the route was some sort of experiment to see if there was a market for flights to connect and it is pretty central for bits of 3 countries.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I think the most unusual Virgin flight I had was in the 80’s. Maastricht, where I lived at the time, to Gatwick

The marketing people would be embarrassed if they knew that route was operated by a prop Vickers Viscount.

The aircraft was leased from British Air Ferries.

Viscount G-APEY at Gatwick 1989

TonyR
    Participant

Always great to reminisce .. I remember taking the Virgin flight from London to Athens in the business class .. mid 90s, and then changing airports in Athens to take Olympic to Mykonos .. the good old days !

And Virgin to NY in the early 90s .. Range Rover limousine to the airport and inflight amenity kit from Neal’s Yard.

‘Memories’ !

. Remember it well with the Sony video players in Upper Class to make up for the lack of in flight entertainment. Wouldn’t allow us to send them back to our daughters in economy so we ended up in economy ourselves with our daughters enjoying Upper watching videos.

TonyR
    Participant

Travelled with them in their first few months. Gatwick was fog bound and no public announcements allowed so Branson turned up with a loudhailer to tell everyone what was happening. Got us all on coaches, including him and the family, to Manchester where the plane had landed. Finally took off just after midnight and he worked with the cabin crew serving meals and chatting to passengers. His family were just passengers. At EWR the family were all sat on the side while we queued for immigration. Asked if they were going through and got the answer, no we’re heading back now. “Richard has been finding out what its like for the crew when things go wrong and we’ve been finding out what its like for the passengers.” That sold me on Virgin. Could never imagine Lord King doing that!

Was a Gold Tier flyer for many years and had invites with family to many fabulous parties at his house in Kidlington every year. And then they faded out and the service became less personal and more corporate and I drifted away.

Mark
    Participant

Here’s a back view of the upper deck cabin.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Mark, thanks for this. I’d forgotten about the free Y class ticket !

With AA axing first class in 2024 I don’t think there will be any North American carrier offering “first class” at that time.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller October 2022 edition
Business Traveller October 2022 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls