Virgin Atlantic Original Upper class 38″ pitch

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• Mark
    Participant

I am a bit of a VS early years Fan!
    There is a little confusing info regarding the 1st Upper class seating pitch.
    Apparently on one blog by a VS crew member the Upper deck only had Eight seats and the seating chart photos I have show a 14 seat cabin with 38″ pitch.
    Does anyone know if the 8 seat was the Aerolineas Argentina old First class product that changed over to the smaller pitch?

Did anyone fly the Nose section 747 with the Lounge seating shown here.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Your picture doesn’t seem to have come through on your post.

Was it this seat?

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I remember this advert…. lots about legroom, but not much mentioning how many inches

cwoodward
    Participant

Great legs !

3 users thanked author for this post.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Always great to reminisce .. I remember taking the Virgin flight from London to Athens in the business class .. mid 90s, and then changing airports in Athens to take Olympic to Mykonos .. the good old days !

And Virgin to NY in the early 90s .. Range Rover limousine to the airport and inflight amenity kit from Neal’s Yard.

‘Memories’ !

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ukblue
    Participant

I flew upper class for many years. I remember the upper deck seating was ex First Class with a manual horizontal leg rest and enormous pitch. … I was told the plane and seats were ex Singapore airlines. Every trip you received an economy ticket for the same route, a gift of your choice (I still have a CD from the flight) and the limo transfer in USA was often a stretch limo.

As a very frequent traveller I was pouched by BA with a Concorde ticket and on one occasion I was invited to Richard’s Christmas cocktail party with 50 other flyers to his house (which was actually a corporate house 3 doors from his real house).

Amazing times and a far cry from the ‘beige’ flying of today and airline status cards.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Was that the one in Notting Hill? I went there but I was never sure if it was his house or whether it was, as you said, a corporate place.

It had lots of pictures of the family (on the grand piano etc..) but it did feel odd using the house when he wasn’t there.

AJDC
    Participant

I worked for VS in the mid 90s. IRRC, the upper deck was divided into premium economy and upper class. So your 14 seat configuration could be correct.

Ukblue
    Participant

Yes it was. The grand piano was towards the back of the room with an orangery / sunroom behind it. Richard told me it used to be his house but as the business got going (I started flying Virgin in 1988) he made it his corporate office and bought a similar house 3 doors down the same road. I recall him telling me that I didn’t have long to wait before they would be flying from Manchester my home airport. He failed to say it would be Orlando and other than that I’d be waiting 20 years. On the night I was there he disappeared for 30 odd minutes only to reappear in the full VS stewardess uniform. A born entertainer

6 users thanked author for this post.

Mark
    Participant

I am referring to the 1984/86 era

Chutzpahflyer
    Participant

And then there was the massage…

Mark
    Participant

Apologies.
    Having difficulty uploading some of the photographs.

Anyone recognise the lounge seating in the 747 nose section.
    Think this was very short lived.

Would love to hear more about you Gold and higher Frequent flyers who were sent gifts and other perks from VS?

Mark
    Participant

This image is not shown anywhere on Virgins history or anywhere else.
    Seems the old days dont exist for VS sadly.

Mark
    Participant

Look at those early generation manual foot rests.

Mark
    Participant

Some mention “up to 60 inches”
    Most were pitched at 55″

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls