Virgin Atlantic Developing “Next Gen” Seats for A330

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Virgin has placed an order for a total of ten A330-300 aircraft to be delivered in 2011 and 2012, just in time for the Olympics in London.

Currently using a fleet of 747s and A340s, Virgin has stated that these new airframes “will assist futire growith” with destinations suchas Vancouver, Beijing and Cancun in the frame.

What was most interesting was that Virgin Atlantic stated that the new planes would feture “the next generation of seats”.

I suppose the focus will be primarily on improving the economy product, where there has been only modest innovation in comparison to the strides made in premium seating over the past decade.

While the Upper Class “Suite” is great as a bed, the lack of a viewable window, the somewhat invasive/claustrophobic walling either side of the seat, the inability to lie recumbent when watching a movie, and the hassle of getting up to flip the seat to a bed means it is not the ideal solution for a premium business class seat, though great IFE, the in flight bar and a solid table for working make it perfectly acceptable nonetheless.

Hess963
    Participant

Certainly about time to consider refurbishing the seats. VS should be considering to follow CX in Eco(Seat shell version)-but a little bit more of space and food quality enhancement. Prem. Eco should be more like NZ- with more spacious recline and useable legrest( if it doesn’t help you to be comfortable, so what is the use of it, right?). Food/Beverage and Service in NZ Prem Eco are outstanding. Bus. Class seat should be either SQ Solo Suite or like EY . Main points are like V.K. previously stated- more in seat width/personal space between neighbours, possibility of seating together when flying twosome. Book the Cook option like SQ. More partition between bar and cabin( for more relax and quieter ambience)- a smaller bar is sufficient. It is terrible to have a seat near the bar. Offer of PJs-especially in long haul.

Airpocket
    Participant

Before we get too excited about VS’s new seats I think we need to point out that their inflight service leaves a lot to be desired.Perhaps ‘Beardie’ should have spent the money recruiting new cabin crew and training them up to the standards of SQ and CX rather than spunking his load, as it were, on new seats.

travelworld
    Participant

I think the VS Upper Class seating is pretty good- and still way ahead of many rivals. I can’t realy say that I miss having no direct window view and don’t find flipping the bed over much of a hassle. BA’s new Club World however beats it on usabilty of space with that really handy drawer. And I have the same view as VintageKrug on the bar- it’s a real pain if you want to sleep and there’s a rowdy crowd there. (there a similar problem at the back of the upper deck on the Emirates A380). And whilst I don’t find the cabin crew too bad, VS UC food can be pretty ropey. Eat in the Clubhouse first if you can…

cityprofessional
    Participant

What happened to “4 engines 4 long haul”?!

…oh, never mind

austline
    Participant

VS needs to improve it’s service on board in particular it’s food and wine. Seats are okay but like CX feel claustrophobic. SQ service great but new seats a pain when you want to recline or sleep. VS should move to QF[ A380] and V Australia seats and go for forward seats whitch become flat beds amazing amount of room. BA are okay but it’s about time they moved away from doggy dishes in long haul J class and upgraded their wines. After having done 4 long haul Australia, Nigeria flights via LHR – QF is the best of all carriers, if you score the A380, there food and wine the best of all carriers.

VintageKrug
    Participant

A reminder that the possessive is “its” and it is = it’s.

I experienced excellent cabin crew service on my flight last week; dined after the masses, and food was yummy.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls