Virgin Atlantic axes Dubai route

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Alex McWhirter
    Participant

BREAKING

Virgin Atlantic will axe its London (LHR) to Dubai service from March 31, 2019.

More news to follow.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=872009]BREAKING

Virgin Atlantic will axe its London (LHR) to Dubai service from March 31, 2019.

More news to follow.[/quote]

I’m not surprised, there is so much capacity on that route…..

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Olneyflyer
    Participant

With Delta owning 49% of Virgin I will be interested to see whether the slots will be used for other US service were the revenues may be higher that Dubai.

MarkivJ
    Participant

No doubt – I see more NYC or LAX flights coming. They could consider starting a 2nd daily to Seattle as the flights are always full (although we do have a lot of UK seats from Seattle).

capetonianm
    Participant

Previous post is advertising.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

They seem to be retrenching and becoming more and more focussed solely on US routes.

Given SAA’s withdrawal from the CPT route, and that Virgin did use to fly to CPT, it wouldn’t be hard to think there’s an opportunity for them here.

Edski777
    Participant

Let’s be reasonable about this decision: EK is making it virtually impossible for any other carrier than EK to operate to/from DXB.
    They are operating now from Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle and so on. On many routes with an A380, low ticket prices and multiple flights a day.
    Add to that that for transfer passengers options via Amsterdam, Brussels, Frankfurt and Paris are available as well.

Virgin Atlantic is just pushed out of this market. Question is if in the long run this won’t happen on other major routes as well and Virgin will become an operator between the UK serving second tier destinations across the Atlantic.

capetonianm
    Participant

EK’s prices GB-DXB are pretty much the same as any else’s for point to point traffic. Where they undercut everyone else is on O&D traffic (connections).

As VS won’t have online connections to/from DXB, they won’t attract volumes, and there is probably overcapacity on the route with 14 flights a day between London (LHR LGW STN) and DXB, of which 10 are EK.

Hardly surprising that nobody else can compete.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=872318]Previous post is advertising.[/quote]

That is right of course. And johnwick’s post really inspired me with confidence, he can not even spell “guidens”.

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Our piece was written quickly as our aim is to bring you important news as soon as possible.

In a previous posting MarkivJ said he though VS would operate more flights to the US West Coast.

Well I now see there is a new US service which will commence at the same time as VS axes Dubai.

Routesonline.com reports that VS will start a second daily Boston service on March 31, 2019. (VS is transferring its LGW-Las Vegas flight to LHR so it’s not a new route)

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/278715/virgin-atlantic-s19-london-heathrow-service-changes-as-of-20may18/

AlanOrton1
    Participant

No surprise really that they’re adding a US route.

I don’t really buy the oversupply argument or Virgin being pushed out. I suspect their US paymasters see BOS (a DL focus city) as making them more money hence why they’re binning DXB.
    EK, while a dominant player, aren’t a monopoly as BA haven’t scaled back their service (up to 3 x daily).

Would appear Virgin are going head to head with BA on the BOS route as their flight timings are very close to each other. BA have been 4 x daily on this route for a while.

canucklad
    Participant

The other thing to consider is that , not only has EK invested in the regions and Scotland giving us more options than ever before, from it’s Dubai Hub it flies non-stop to 11 destinations in the US and YYZ.

This will have diluted the transit market through LHR heading to Delta hubs , plus EK will have also syphoned off sub-continent traffic heading across the Atlantic.

Just another example of a western airline choosing flight rather than fight !!

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

And Delta is considering a return to Dubai.

It would then fly non-stop Dubai to the USA and distribute domestic US passengers through its US hubs. It that were to happen there would be less need for indirect (Virgin Atlantic) flights via LHR.

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transport/396699-delta-plans-to-re-start-dubai-flight-following-agreement

https://www.myajc.com/blog/airport/delta-plans-more-international-flights-wake-emirates-deal/z82aMr1S4r6QBt35rhpNQL/

MarkivJ
    Participant

Shame really how a once “we’ll bring glamour to the skies” airline ended up becoming Delta-UK.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls