Virgin Atlantic Axes Accra

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• Bucksnet
    Participant

It was recently on Bloomberg that the expanding African route networks of TK and other Asian carriers are affecting revenues at Brussels Airlines, which has a lot of African flights.

This may of also had some bearing on Virgin’s ACC flight?

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi Sparky, nice to read you as well. I am currently in Russia working on a deal and have been flying back and forth almost weekly so havent been `on-line` as often as I would like, and I really hate the bickering with the most prolific of posters, so have stayed away. Today is a slow day however, so I have been reading the forum with great interest, and of course, some nastiness on the BA Lounge Disasters that I just had to comment on.

I would love BA to return to Durban with their own metal, especially with the magnificent new airport soon to be completed. It seems such a natural to me. Likewise, it is a shame BA are not in the Seychelles as well, but it seems that route is tough even with a parastatal such as QR pulling out. Kigali is very much up and coming destination, but the locals are very Belgium entrenched hence the strong SN and now even KL/AF presense, so not sure BA would do that well, but never say never I guess. I just hope with the smaller capacity 787`s coming on line soon, BA makes a few interesting decisions and tests the waters to some great locations, many you and I have discussed already.

Back in LHR and then BRU on Wednesday next week, and then back here to LED again the week after. White Nights and all that!

Hope to read some more from you soon.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Bucksnet, absolutely right. SN has been struggling on a few routes, and their bread and butter routes to Burundi, Rwanda, and Congo are now being served by a variety of airlines cutting into their loads, and lets face it, SN is fine point to point, but their onward connections are nothing compared to the might of KL in AMS, AF in CDG/ORY, TK in IST, and LH in FRA, so the more encroachment on their traditional areas, the more likely they will have poor results. SN has really improved their on board offering though, so it would be a shame if they somehow were displaced.

TK is the one that amazes me, even flying into Mogadishu. Hopefully the crew dont overnight there :-), of course not much different from Taksim these days, maybe even calmer.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Bucksnet

By “Asian” do you mean Middle Eastern/Gulf carriers ?

Africa (with the chief exception of South Africa) is largely unserved by Asian carriers. There are few if any flights by any airline based in mainland China and no flights at all with Japanese carriers.

No wonder the Gulf carriers do so well.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Turkey and the Middle East are in Asia, so yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Asia_(orthographic_projection).svg

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls