Virgin Atlantic – a new route coming in Winter 2020?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

The demographic of traffic to/from CPT is such that F would probably not be a viable proposition, but they might retain it on one of the dailies where there are double/triple frequencies.

I understand that the runway realignment project is intended to give extra length for 380 ops. I have heard that the existing runway can theoretically handle a 380 but it’s a bit too close for comfort, and that the terminal can’t handle the aircraft until the stands are strengthened and widened. The terminal struggles to handle 2 or 3 simultaneous wide body arrivals or departures.

Running a 380 would not necessarily increase passenger numbers – hopefully not – but would allow a possible reduction in movements. I understand that the runway project was meant to begin this month, I don’t believe it has, but I think that some work on the terminal and parking has started. I’ll try to find out from a friend who works at the airport.

openfly
    Participant

@capetonian….sorry my mistake…I meant the BA LGW-CPT 3 times a week service. With VS diluting the loads with the daily flight it might make sense to pull the LGW. Also, BA didn’t operate the 4 extra Jumbos a week in Jan-Feb this year.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Alex

Virgin still offer SYD fares via Los Angeles on either VA or DL operated services. Connections not so good though.

Tim

1 user thanked author for this post.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Totally off topic but I wouldn’t enter into any kind of agreement with VA if I were an airline.

Reg VS – I am surprised the “winner” was CPT. I was thinking Austin or reintroduce Tokyo.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Openfly your question has now been answered. BA increased LGW-CPT flights next Winter..
    ttps://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2020/02/13/british-airways-to-increase-flights-to-st-lucia-cape-town-and-cancun/

MarkivJ – not at all surprised about the new CPT route, indeed one of my thoughts when I started this discussion. There is huge demand for LON-CPT flights, not just for tourism, but also VFR both ways, and increased business traffic. Also the demise of Thomas Cook, a holiday airline, left room for another provider.

A factor for increased traffic to SA is of course tourism, and with the Pound being pretty rubbish these days, it actually is worth an awful lot in Rand, so giving the UK traveller very good value.

capetonianm
    Participant

it actually is worth an awful lot in Rand, so giving the UK traveller very good value.

True, but have you seen the prices of some of the good hotels and restaurants? They equate, not always favourably, with prices in Europe and GB.
    For example :

The Silo

Silo Room B&B
    The Silo Bed & Breakfast
    20,300 ZAR Daily
    ± 1,172 GBP Daily

openfly
    Participant

@Sparkyflyer….BA have increased the LGW by two flights agreed, but that is less than the very high-season three 747s that have been seen recently…so, actually a slight reduction in effect.

kershcliff
    Participant

[postquote quote=990186][/postquote]

Yes there are connections via Europe and the Middle East, but that is taking the best part of a day, with the transit time.
    People North of Birmingham want direct flights that take 12 hours maximum.

kershcliff
    Participant

[postquote quote=990187][/postquote]

2 flights from MAN and 5 from LHR, each week
    Better use of LHR slots
    Not beyond the wit of Virgin to sort out repositioning flights or use aircraft based at MAN

MarkivJ
    Participant

@sparkyflyer – thanks for the additional info! I had no idea about all of that!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=990376]People North of Birmingham want direct flights that take 12 hours maximum.[/quote]

kershcliff – Of course I am well aware of this.

But aviation is not perfect. Some airports, for one reason or another, cannot secure the direct links they would like.

However the point I was making was that, of all our regional airports, MAN provides the greatest choice of indirect options for that route.

Gavin_
    Participant

People can fly VS/VA to Sydney via the US.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

[postquote quote=990377][/postquote]

If Virgin ‘only’ operate 5 times a week out of LHR then they are immediately less attractive than a competitor, ie BA, who offer a daily service….they also have to think what to do with spare 2 slots.

At the same time, if they operate twice a week out of MAN, they need to work out what to do with the aircraft the other 5 days of the week (re-positioning won’t work on multiple levels).

sparkyflier
    Participant

It seems another new route which was discussed in my recent thread has come to fruition..

Virgin Atlantic to launch Manchester-Delhi in October 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls