Video Reviews and Thoughts: BA A380 WT, WTP, CW, F

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

• Vertrek
    Participant

First of all, thanks for the nice videos. 🙂

I have to say, even though I am no longer a BA fans and seldom fly them, I was expecting something more from BA A380. But instead, the CW and F cabin looks really dull and cheap. It is so obvious that there was no effort put in redesigning the cabin/seat. It’s very clear that they want the seat to be functional only, and be produced as cheap as possible. Sad.

StephenLondon
    Participant

@NTA – thanks for your reply. Out of curiosity, have you flown with the carriers and in the classes I am asking about? You don’t answer with specifics like someone who has flown extensively would.

@Vertrek – BA never said they would reinvent air travel with the introduction of their A380. They seem to be staying on brand but with sensible updates to the hard product. We have yet to see the soft product updates.

Bullfrog
    Participant

‘Mais bien sur .. Un cuvée’

esselle
    Participant

Bullfrog

Not sure I get your point, but surely you mean “….UNE cuvee”?

Ha, many people would say I fly extensively but there is always someone out there that makes my travel patterns look normal! When you’re looking at the premium economy products offered by Qantas and NZ, they are similar enough that for most people here FF miles becomes an important factor. Some people might say that the quality of wine trumps all, but if you’re a BA card holder (like most people on this board) the fact that BA offers you five free European flights (well, £15 each) if you take Qantas rather than NZ means that the decision is much easier. And if you had a Turkish FF card instead…

StephenLondon
    Participant

So that would be a no then. Just so I am clear.

Vertrek
    Participant

Hi Stephen,

Sorry, but I still think it’s quite dull. The same goes to Delta’s “J” seats. They are nice products, but no effort in designing the product at all, no colours, just grey.

V

StephenLondon
    Participant

So, Vertrek, what would you have done were you in charge of the BA A380/B787 programme?

Vertrek
    Participant

Hi Stephen,

I would at least put up some colour to the cabin. Come on, The First class product and the CW looks so dull and cheap. I know that you are a BA fans, if you compared it to OS, LX, KL, CX, VS new “J” they have a better colouring than just plain grey.

This should explain it, http://tinyurl.com/o2o9g9k
    research and re-designing seats cost lots of money. I would imagine buying the seat as it was design by the manufacturer save millions.

V

StephenLondon
    Participant

But there is colour in the cabin, Vertrek…warm, subtle tones that create a relaxing, calm environment.

If I was looking for colour, I’d fly OS (are they still using lime green pillows with matching amenity kits, not to mention head-to-toe red outfits for the crew?) or KL and their electric blue that dates back to 1970-what? S7 was about the brightest in colour of late – bright green exterior clearly borrowed from OS, and purple leather seats inside. After a few vodkas, you don’t really notice so much. LX is a fairly bland colour palette in F & J, and so is CX F, and even new CX J for that matter – just using a dark green as opposed to a brown herringbone on BA.

BA own the patent on their Club World seat and layout, I believe. For brand/product communality, why would they change it for 12 A-380 aircraft that will share routes with their current product? To either purchase or design a seat not only costs a lot of money (in tough economic times) but would require testing, certification and a different maintenance routine, all of which costs more. It would be best to do the entire product all at once, for all long-haul aircraft. As the current J seats have quite a bit of life left in them, I don’t believe we’ll be seeing anything new for a few years to come.

The F suite is tan and blue leather on the inside panels, so there is a aura of rich luxury the way it has been hand stitched like a Bentley. What I liked about the A380 is that the seats/suites are a bit more private with newer, higher walls without being closed off (a la EK F, which is so claustrophobic). Shame Airbus would not permit the new window treatment seen in 777 and 747 aircraft on board the A380.

I am not an overall BA fan (see previous posts criticising BA), but I do like their long-haul products, they fly to places I need to go to and it fits my schedule. I fly with quite a few carriers as I like variety, and have recently been on Vietnam, Qatar, Thai, Cathay, American, Emirates, Royal Jordanian, Delta and S7. All had pluses and minuses.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

BA’s £100m investment in its new F cabin has delivered something that’s subtle; the colour comes from the LED light effects.

In Club, it is functional and clean, but the softer tones of the fabric make for a welcoming rather than harsh, pallette.

An interesting article on the design cues behind the cabin here:

http://www.develop3d.com/profiles/come-fly-with-me

Sorry Stephen, I keep reminding myself to write clearly (especially for readers who may not have English as a first language) – I have flown on both Qantas and New Zealand in a variety of cabins including premium economy, and believe that their hard products are similar enough that most readers here would be better off picking the airline that is part of their preferred frequent flier alliance.

Vertrek – the F cabin doesn’t feel particularly high-end or luxurious – the marketing speak doesn’t match up to the actual cabin, but it’s perfectly fine for an aircraft. The CW cabin doesn’t have bright colours, but there’s a reasonable range of muted colours that mean it’s not too bland nor too brown. Sure, it’s not as bright as a CX green or even the MH purples, but it’s fine. You can see a video of the CW A380 cabin at

http://youtu.be/BDI-eQRTw3c?t=44s

and I think it’s much nicer than the CW product on the 767, as well as the 777 / 747, especially when the mood lighting kicks in.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I prefer muted colours. I was on a THAI 747 recently in business and the colour scheme – lots and lots of different shades of purple – was very far from restful on the eye. The colour of the seat shell was particularly unpleasant
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=picture+thai+business+class+747&qpvt=picture+thai+business+class+747&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=7C1880D319189C7B47403512AA55164861EC0E14&selectedIndex=14
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=picture+thai+business+class+747&qpvt=picture+thai+business+class+747&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=DD427C62AD452BDDF82A301E907925A6054D445B&selectedIndex=51
    The colours are much more vivid in real life than in these pictures

Never mind eyeshades, it’s time for sunglasses to be provided in the amenity kits!

SergeantMajor
    Participant

The best handout was the cream Smythson writing paper – just the job if you needed to pen an urgent missive at 35,000 feet!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls