Video Reviews and Thoughts: BA A380 WT, WTP, CW, F

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • I didn’t think it was the same with other carriers, but I’m not a Marco Polo member. If I was, how many flights could I upgrade from J to F with miles – 1 in 2 (like BA), 1 in 3 etc?

“Best” is very subjective – it depends on which angle you are looking at. BA WTP may well be the best for IAG as they get the best possible margin from the space available, but VS PE may be best for customers as they get a better ground handling experience. Far better for me just to take some photos and let others decide what is best for them! 🙂

StephenLondon
    Participant

Indeed best is subjective. That said, do you rate Air NZ PE (on their 777s) on a par, above or below QF (on either their 744s or A380) based on your travel experience? Thanks.

NTarrant
    Participant

NTA – You give the impression that someone with a Gold or Silver card is upgrading with Avios on every 5th flight they take. In reality this probably doesn’t happen as there are not the availability of seats with Avios either as upgraded or “free”.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I got an eerie sense of deja vu reading the post from SergeantMajor at 10:45 GMT yesterday. The language and content seemed so familiar…

Ah welll, perhaps my imagination. Champagne, anyone?

esselle
    Participant

I had a similar feeling when reading that post.

Stand by your beds!

openfly
    Participant

Esselle and IfromHKG……

So true. The contributions from SergeantMajor are very reminiscent of a previous BT member. Sitting here reading this thread with a glass of posh champagne in my hand……..

esselle
    Participant

All good things must come to an end.

Ignorance mixed with arrogance is a pretty toxic combination.

StephenLondon
    Participant

You folks are taking this thread off topic…meanwhile, it would be nice if NiceTravelAdventures would answer my previous question:

Based on your personal flying experience with Air NZ and QF, do you rate Air NZ PE (on their 777s) on a par, above or below QF (on either their 744s or A380). Thanks.

Papillion53
    Participant

Ian_from_HKG @06:45

I think the old fox has snuck away from Nanny again …. But I thought that from the very first SM post! Just keeping quiet to see if anyone else noticed, but we could be wrong, so keep that champagne on ice for now! 😉 🙂

On topic, just booked us to HKG on the A380 in CW for next year (avios redemption – plenty of availability!) I have chosen seats on the main deck, but not the couples “double bed” as I think it might feel a bit claustrophobic. The only advantage I would see is it would offer access to a quick dig in the ribs in case of snoring issues! His snoring of course!

Having read the reviews on here of the A380, I am quite excited at having the opportunity of flying on her.

Ian – favourite hotel in HKG for a couple of nights? Thanks! 🙂

Travellator
    Participant

Four Seasons Premier Deluxe Harbour View PLUS Exec Lounge !

IanFromHKG
    Participant

That’s a tough one, Papillion. Any business element, or just leisure? And do you prefer to be on HK Island or Kowloonside?

Papillion53
    Participant

Ian – Always “Pleisure” for me! First time visitor, know very little, so any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks Travellator, will have a look! 🙂

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Papillion, Travellator is right that the Four Seasons is lovely – and it has the best spa on the Island IMHO, and a lovely pool, but isn’t terribly convenient for – well, anything, really, except the Airport Express station. It is rather on the edge of Central (the main business district), but the “wrong” end for the shopping! Nor is it particularly close to an MTR station. Although the lovely people at the door will find you a taxi!

If this is pure leisure I would skip the Mandarin Oriental and Landmark Mandarin – both right in the heart of Central, but really business hotels.

There are four hotels at Pacific Place (one of the largest shopping malls on the Island and which is connected directly to the MTR at the station which allows you to go direclty to any station on the Island or directly across to Kowloon, as well as a major bus station and two large taxi stands – also walking distance from Central although you may prefer a bus/tram/taxi). All four hotels – the Conrad, the Shangri-La, the JW Marriott and The Upper House – are good. Shangri-La has the best pool, but none has the best spa (the Four Seasons has that), TUH doesn’t have a pool at all so far as I am aware. All have great restaurants, my favourites being Petrus (Shangri-La) and Cafe Grey (TUH). If it were me, I would choose the Shang but I know many others prefer the Conrad (although it’s pool is a bit “antiseptic” if you know what I mean). If you are staying over a Sunday, wherever you stay, book the Conrad Sunday Brunch in Nicholini’s – don’t eat breakfast, arrive early, and stay until stuffed!

Over on the dark side, my pick would be the Intercontinental or the Peninsula. The former is a little out of the way but has a fabulous horizon pool overlooking the harbour (ditto room views) and a great spa. The Pen is, of course, the original grande dame of HK hotels – stay in the old section, especially if you can get one of the suites at the end of one of the wings. Gaddi’s (their signature restaurant) is superb – try to get the chef’s table (sitting right in the kitchen), but order the five-course option, not the ten-course option I booked for the memsahib’s birthday! Pool is nice and has great views, but is indoors. Speaking of great views, go to Felix (the bar at the top of the new tower) and take in the view from the men’s urinals – yes, I know it doesn’t seem very ladylike, but it is extraordinarily popular (and slightly offputting for the chaps, although we are getting used to the steady stream (sorry) of the fairer sex coming in to admire the view (out of the window, I hasten to add))

Travellator
    Participant

Nice summary Ian. 4S is just our personal preference. I don’t think there are any bad hotels in HKG in the Five Star category even the YMCA in Kowloon gets good reviews. Taxis are cheap as you know so 4S isn’t too inconvenient and is in walking distance of the Star Ferry which I could ride to and fro on all day. There is a great bar/café on top of the Discovery bay pier – cheap, cheerful and clean ! Our next visit in about 3 weeks sadly our last in The Queen ( 747 ) then booked end of October in 380 !

Stephen, I’d recommend that you travel with whichever airline is aligned to your preferred alliance.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls