Video Review: Oman Air – The World’s Best Business Class?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I was lucky enough to fly with Oman Air from London Heathrow to Muscat in business class, which meant I got to try out their flat beds. Their service is up against BA’s, and is rumoured to be almost as good as British Airways’ First Class!

Oman Air’s longhaul product really is one of the very best in the world – you would be mad to fly anyone else to Muscat from London, especially as British Airways have worse flight times and make you have a layover in Abu Dhabi. The complimentary limo service worked well, and the food and seat knocked their rivals in to a cocked hat. The main (only?) advantage BA have is their generous & lucrative offerings of Avios with each flight!

There’s also a quick look at Oman Air’s shorthaul service from Muscat to Bangalore. This product is a million miles away from their longhaul service, but was still very respectable.

Overall, Oman Air are highly recommended.

Click this link to see the video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGVJEla4MJI&hd=1

Anonymous

SergeantMajor
    Participant

I’ve wanted to try Oman Air for some time – their Business seats look great, but then in the thread “you get what you pay for” there seem some worrying issues with the service:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Sometimes-you-just-get-what-you-pay-for……

Just goes to prove we all look for different things from our travel provider, and you can’t please all of the people all of the time!

I can usually fly with BA on one of their newly refurbished 777s for around £1350 rtn in Club World, with plenty of avios upgrades available, so it makes sense for me to stick with them.

I’ve never seen Oman Air for less than £1800rtn.

What did you pay for your trip?

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

Yes I know Oman have built up an excellent reputation but was concerned after reading the review SM mentions. I would like to give them a try though. On another note SM, did you get to fly Iberia as I would be really interested in your views on that.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Not yet, I had to postpone the trip, but will be able to report back once it’s completed.

Interested that Oman Air may have better value deals exEurope.

firstflyer
    Participant

Absolutely correct ‘NiceTravelAdventures’.
    I had never seen a better business class, especially comfort and privacy is on First class level. I flew from FRA to MCT and afterwards from MCT to BKK in December 2012.

JohnHarper
    Participant

The review of WY that Sergeant Major refers to seems to have a broken link.

I have flown WY a number of times between LHR-MCT over the last three years and found them to be an exceptional airline with highly trained staff, an excellent hard product and similar soft product.

Their C is better than F on many carriers and in fact the hard thing is to distinguish the benefit of their F cabin over the C cabin as the seats are very similar. The soft product in F is obviously better and the high level of service in C is also up a notch.

Both cabins are spacious with a 1-2-1 arrangement the norm so it is very favourable in comparison to eight across on BA.

They also seem to have very tight inventory management and fortunately upgrades are few and far between.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Muscat is an occasional destination for me, and I am planning a trip in business class for mid March.

The fares on WY and BA are much the same on line, £ 1800, but WY will be my preferred carrier every time. The seats are 1/2/1 and far more spacious and comfy; the flights are non stop whereas BA are via Abu Dhabi; flight times on WY are far better, and the food on WY is in a different league to BA.

All in all, it is Oman Air every time for me.

MarcusUK
    Participant

I flew Oman Air some months ago, and have to say they were excellent. They link in with Etihad’s FFP, so miles can also be earned and status benefits on both enjoyed.
    They have on-going flights to Bangkok that connect easily, so another option onwards compared to EK and EY, and interestingly enough, sometimes around the £1,600 return LHR to BKK!
    But Bangkok has always been the cheapest gateway into S,E Asia, and there are many varying fares, but Oman Air offers a different and really more unusual stopover opportunity. they have been slowly but surely expanding their fleet and destinations.

Again the Gulf region standards of travel are excellent and really go much further than any European Airline can match. Of course the resources are very different, but it is good to see something very different and distinctive from each of the regions Airlines.

I agree, a really superb choice, and economy also is of a high quality and comfortable as i found with a walk through. A good Y choice for a quieter route and excellent service, with around £400 to Muscat, or £580+ to BKK.

@SergeantMajor, the fare was about £1350 for LHR-MCT-BLR one way, which seemed reasonable to me.

The market is moving around BA, so they are now effectively in the position AA was 5-10 years ago; a seat and service that is now behind a lot of the competition, but very competitively priced for Frequent Flyers due to the number of upgrades available.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls