Video Review: Comparing BA’s new Shorthaul Seats to Norwegian, a Low Cost Carrier

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You’re quite right – anyone in the UK who serves alcohol has to offer tap water free of charge.

The pregnant lady was very polite, asking if she could just get a cup of water rather than the bottle that was for sale – and was clearly told there was no chance of her getting a drink without paying £1.50. Of course, we had some spare cash so bought her a drink but this shouldn’t have been necessary!

superchris
    Participant

regardless of policy and procedure, there comes a time when all staff have to engage brain and use common sense. Leaving a pregnant lady without water is utterly bonkers, inhumane and bordering on illegal.

Unfortunately (and I find this in particularly with companies who employ staff from SE Asia), companies do not allow any kind of freedom of thought or bending of rules so staff are forced to apply the letter of the law without deviation and exceptions aren’t tolerated.

Yes Emirates, Im talking about you…

It’d be good to get some legislation to cover this, but presumably if the CAA brought it in it would only cover Easyjet, as Norwegian and Ryanair operate under a non-UK licence.

Mind you, Easyjet and Ryanair might provide free potable water already – does anyone know?

andystock
    Participant

Ryanair providing free water, I can note see that at all!

superchris
    Participant

Arriving in a hotel in Dublin, Michael O’Leary went to the bar and asked for a pint of draught Guinness. The barman nodded and said, “That will be one Euro please, Mr. O’Leary.” Somewhat taken aback, O’Leary replied, “That’s very cheap,” and handed over his money.

“Well, we try to stay ahead of the competition”, said the barman. “And we are serving free pints every Wednesday evening from 6 until 8. We have the cheapest beer in Ireland”

“That is remarkable value” Michael comments

“I see you don’t seem to have a glass, so you’ll probably need one of ours.
    That will be 3 euro please.”

O’Leary scowled, but paid up. He took his drink and walked towards a seat.
    “Ah, you want to sit down?” said the barman. “That’ll be an extra 2 euro. – You could have pre-book the seat, and it would have only cost you a Euro.”

“I think you may to be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this frame please”
    Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can’t squeeze in he complains “Nobody would fit in that little frame”.

“I’m afraid if you can’t fit in the frame you’ll have to pay an extra surcharge of €4.00 for your seat sir”

O’Leary swore to himself, but paid up. “I see that you have brought your laptop with you” added the barman. “And since that wasn’t pre-booked either, that will be another 3 euro.”

O’Leary was so annoyed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on the counter, and yelled, “This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager”.

“Ah, I see you want to use the counter,” says the barman, “that will be 2 euro please.” O’Leary’s face was red with rage.

“Do you know who I am?”

“Of course I do Mr. O’Leary,”

“I’ve had enough, What sort of Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!”

“Here is his E mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9 and 9.10 every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free, until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only 10 cent per second”

“I will never use this bar again”

“OK sir, but remember, we are the only hotel in Ireland selling pints for one Euro”.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Nice one Superchris. 😉

Tim2soza
    Participant

I came back Club in these new seats from Barcelona this week. Never again! Row 10 on EZY from now on. Service was excellent; seat was simply dreadful. BA for long haul only from now on. BA is clearly sending short haul down the LCC route to try to restore profitability.

openfly
    Participant

Flew IBZ to LCY on BA CityFlyer yesterday. I was amazed. We flew out from LHR and got a rubbish “snack”, and the standard “wish I wasn’t here service”. The same BA product to LCY on the Embraer 195 was very good. Masses of legroom in Y, an excellent proper meal, a smiling crew, a cool cabin on boarding, bags were on the carousel waiting for us.

How can the same product be so different….and cheaper!?

To the person saying that there was little in the bar for the return flight….I am led to believe that this can’t happen, as the return bar is sealed. The crew are not supposed to open it until the return flight departs. Something went badly wrong!

Lots of BA destinations with no lounges now…including their third busiest airport, LCY. It’s a con……!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls