Video killed the airline star !

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

• Anonymous

TerryBuchanan
    Participant

morning all ! First time to post after 10 years of quietly observing catfights and tantrums !

the subject line refers to video safety demos…exactly what do cabin crew do during these when they are not in the cabin ?

some airlines have crew positioned at each exit to simply point out exits during the video…. seen some crew chatting about various things in the galley whilst video played last week on a flight to Munich !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Until the airlines themselves take the subject of safety, seriously – I am sad to say that I have all but given up on listening to safety briefings.

Announcing passengers may use their own headphones (even during the safety briefing) sums up how airlines themselves feel about the pre flight safety briefing.

Sadly, it will take an accident and loss of lives for airlines to realise how stupid they have been, putting passenger convenience above passenger safety.

Its no wonder cabin crew show such a lack of interest in the safety briefing…

JohnHarper
    Participant

I always presume the crew are dealing with pre-take off matters. That said not all airlines use a video, I have yet to see one on LH short haul and I find the live demo quite refreshing.

If the crew who are visible do not take the video seriously then I agree with Martin, there is no point in playing it.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Some airlines take safety far more seriously than others. SIA for instance along with QF, the latter of course have never had a fatality.

Putting a video on and hoping passengers will watch it is in my view wishful thinking. The crew are there for the safety of the passengers, the least they can do is be in the cabin while the video is on.

I would stop videos and go back to manual demonstrations.

NTarrant
    Participant

I agree CXDiamond, also where two languages are used they should break it down into sections, like CX and AF do.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

How can an airline’s safety briefing be taken seriously when an announcement preceding the briefing confirms you can now use your own headsets during departure and landing. Mind you, those already using their own headsets wouldn’t even hear they are now allowed.

2014 introduced the voluntary safety briefing…. Airlines (British Airways included) no longer require passengers to listen to the safety briefing… they only need listen if they wish to………….

On Luxair 737 flights the video demo is in French and German only and CC are not present. Slightly off topic but they are very lax when it comes to turbulence and fastening seatbelts compared to other airlines.

JordanD
    Participant

CXDiamond – minor correction to your post of 18/04/2014 18:17 GMT: SIA has had fatalities in the SQ006 crash on take off in Taipei in Oct 2000.

retread
    Participant

I agree that certain carriers ‘seem’ to take the safety demo more seriously that others.

But… having said that, what is the difference if the demo is given via video or in person (or a combination of both) when passengers continue to read their papers, books, business docs, sleep or quietly chat amongst themselves? And yes… lets not even get started on electronic distractions!

Sadly, you cannot ‘make’ people to pay attention.

As the old saying goes…. ‘you can lead a horse to water… but you can’t force it to drink’.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Correct retread, you cant force anyone to listen – so why bother having the safety briefing at all ………….. ? Personally I now think the safety briefing has run its useful life…

1.very few people listen / watch

2. when sadly an emergency occurs, most passengers appear to ignore the messages in the briefing anyway..

NTarrant
    Participant

It would be interesting to know whether more people pay attention to a demo when it is done by the crew or video. I think more people pay attention to a manual demo than a video.

Martyn you still need to have a demo bearing in mind that not all passengers are frequent travellers like us.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I watch the manual demo’s mainly because I think it’s rude not too. Flying QR the video demo almost finished before I realised it was being played. No attendants to be seen anywhere!

NTarrant
    Participant

LP I do the same out of respect to them. Saudia are the same, no announcement and the volume low.

Always found it interesting on Wightlink ferries and Hovertravel when they start the sea version of the safety announcement with “we are required by law to make this announcement” in other words “we don’t want to but have to”!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls