Vaccine driven optimism, what’s your plan?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

• Cwyfan
    Participant

Surely the simplest metric for a return to “normal” is when Covid is having the same level of hospital admissions and deaths that we normally expect from Flu each year. It will never be zero.

2 users thanked author for this post.

FRANCESCABARNES
    Participant

Had my jab a fortnight ago. Had planned on DFW next month cancelled from November last year but have now changed that to November this year so changed next month’s flight to DXB, last week they cancelled return flight so now have that on an ‘open ticket’ Have a trip booked to Tallin in May for which I’ll wait and see. Also, had a trip to KRK just before Christmas, but BA cancelled the return and I now have a voucher for that. All in all a total mess up!!!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Keeping it simple, having a clear conscience about a drive into the countryside for a walk away from The Smoke.

Beyond that, I would be overjoyed to be able to resurrect my original idea for Senior Management’s (now much delayed) 60th bash in Sicilia with friends and family. We’ve fallen in love with the place.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SwissExPat
    Participant

I have an event in Florida in early November 2021… so just booked outbound to ATL and Return from MIA (hire car in between) in Y+ with BA….. and was able to upgrade both Legs with AVIOS… so I (and Mrs ExPat) are looking forward to this.

Also noted that the Outbound to ATL was listed as in 787 and the seat plans indicated that this will be the New Club “SUITE” (1-2-1 config) rather than normal exiting Yin/Yang (2-3-2) on the heretofore BA 787 fleet.. Return is in A380 ex MIA so will be upstairs on return.

AussieJohn
    Participant

I am hoping to go to the postponed Expo 2020 in Dubai in January 2021, but things are still way too unsettled to contemplate this yet. I don’t know what to do as I cannot delay booking flights and accommodation too long.

Being in Australia makes it more difficult as (a) we have no idea yet when we will be allowed to leave the country without a permit, (b) very few international airlines are flying in and out of Oz and who knows what the state of the airline industry will be in the next 12 months, given they’re all losing billions, and (c) the painfully slow rollout of vaccines here in Oz and in other countries other than Israel and the UK.

I’m 71 years old now, so classed as vunerable. International travel in the current climate is probably not inadvisable. Trying to save enough to make the trip in Business Class to mininise the risk of flying, But this is going to be my last opportunity to see a big world Expo on this scale and I don’t want to lose that oppurtunity if possible. It is going to be a challenge for me as I have mobility problems, and the heat in Dubai will bother me to some extent. I went to the Brisbane Expo in 1988 and never saw it all in the 3 days I spent there. Dubai Expo is going to be 10 times the size of Brisbane Expo and far more crowded with much longer wait times to see pavillions!

The other issue for me is booking the trip and then having all the drama of getting my money back if the trip has to be cancelled due to covid related issues. Unless I can find an airline that will give me a legally enforcable guarantee in writing to refund my money without argy bargy, I won’t be going. I don’t want credits and all that sort of nonsense. My only reason for going on the trip to Dubai is Expo. I have no other reason to go there so a credit or voucher for future travel is useless.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1094272]I am hoping to go to the postponed Expo 2020 in Dubai in January 2021[/quote]

Let’s hope you have borrowed a Tardis then…..

We drove through the expo site about 6 weeks ago after some bad navigation and there was a lot (as in a lot) of construction still going on although the Metro is pretty much done.

I must say interest in the expo seems to have cooled locally (not that it was ever fever pitch to start). At this stage there seems doubt how many exhibitors will make it, and clearly many potential visitors may be struggling. At this stage even getting from Abu Dhabi involves covid tests.

Probably the best strategy is to go quite late. It runs till March 2022 so there is plenty of time. Plus temperatures in Nov-Feb or so I always find pleasant.

Keith
    Participant

We share the optimism and the boredom so we booked MAN LHR ATL to go see grandkids on Avios so fully refundable. We will both have had second jab mid May so we booked end of May. Whilst remaining optimistic we fear it will slip back – maybe around 4 July. less worried about quarantine coming back as we can stay (almost ) as long as we want or need
    Interesting to read LuganoPirate. Our son is in ZUR as an expat and cannot get even his first jab so far

EruditeSheep
    Participant

My wife and I would like to be able to join a cruise around Japan in October and already have a booking for flights to Tokyo using Avios. However we are holding back on booking the cruise itself because of concern that Japan may not be in a position to open its borders to tourists. It appears that the nation’s vaccination programme is not progressing quickly and that the take-up of vaccine is relatively low. Then there’s the wild-card of the Olympics…….

The most recent picture I can find is via https://www.insidejapantours.com/covid-19-latest-coronavirus-news-from-japan/ – does anyone have any other words of wisdom to offer?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The only travel bookings I am current making are:

** avios redemption + bonvoy (or other hotel room) reservation where cancellations can be made up until 24 / 48 hours before departure, for any reason

** trips from the UK where all services are on 1 booking

The problem I foresee with a separate flight / cruise booking at the moment, is, if one goes and the other doesn’t. i.e. the cruise goes and your flight is cancelled (or the other way round) – and the position on refunds. Would it not be better to purchase the holiday through an agent that can combine the flight and cruise on the same package…

Keith
    Participant

My thoughts are in line with Martin’s above. We have family in Florida and have booked ATL on Avios for the end of May. Thinking we can change or cancel for a small £35 penalty. We booked hotel only on fully flexible (Hilton) and are reconciled that we may need to change dates. We had thought maybe a week in Spain or Malta if we are delayed still further in getting to the USA but the cost and complexity of all the Covid tests is putting us off big time. We are both jabbed and will have second jab in next the next couple of weeks but are at a complete loss to understand how we prove this as all we have is a piece of card and the NHS app as proof so far. We are not phased by quarantine on our return as we will just stay longer or even consider an intermediate stop over to avoid two weeks in a hotel on arrival -that’s the level of our frustration at not seeing grandkids for 15 months now.

ghlotus
    Participant

Yes – it seems like comfortable foreign travel really depends on some system of internationally recognized proof of vaccine and/or negative PCR test. IATA and other organizations are working hard on this. ALL countries and airlines need it urgently.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Has anyone worked out whether there is a way to print off the proof or confirmation of vaccine given from the NHS app, to include name, address and NHS heading / reference numbers? I doubt it has any use when the pages are printed as individual screen shots.

There may be a lot of opposition to vaccination passports, but if other countries request written proof of vaccination for condition of entry, then we need to have the ability to provide…

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls