Vaccine driven optimism, what’s your plan?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

• TupeloKid
    Participant

[postquote quote=1090328]

I’d like to see my inlaws in Yorkshire. Like me, they live in Hong Kong, but I’d like to see them in Yorkshire.

1 user thanked author for this post.

traveldoc
    Participant

Currently in Thailand on business trip; back to UK mid-March. We have a Rhine river cruise booked for late April but I suspect that will NOT happen. Hopefully though our 12 days in Spain in early September might still be possible?? In between – situation allowing – it will be exploring UK and Ireland by road.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=1091367]I’d like to see my inlaws in Yorkshire. Like me, they live in Hong Kong, but I’d like to see them in Yorkshire.[/quote]

I wish my MiL lived in Hong Kong!! 😉 😉

TGRW
    Participant

In Singapore the plan is to have all vaccinated by Q3 2021. I can only see travel opening to Australia and NZ (if they allow us in) and Europe.

I will only travel if the quarantine requirements at a dedicated facility are removed. It would be lovely to go to the Uk and see my parents and experience some seasonality.

John
    Participant

I think one of the most unsettling things is the way so many apparently authoritative sources are coming up with different information about how the vaccines are working. I’m not talking about politicians or the cranks and nutters posting rubbish on Facebook but accredited scientists and medical professionals.

Our local Norfolk COVID-19 guru, Prof Paul Hunter at UEA, has just re-jigged the Israeli research to show that after 21 days the initial shot of Pfizer vaccine gives 90% protection and concluded from this that delaying the second dose won’t cause any problems. The Israeli interpretation of the data is totally different and doesn’t support figures anything like that.

Who do you trust? For the past 10 months, Prof Hunter has, thanks to our local press, been bombarding us with his theories and opinions on COVID-19 to the point where many people feel (as reflected in some pretty harsh comments being posted on the stories about him) that he’s just playing to the gallery and the press are using him as click bait. When you hit that level of mistrust you’re heading for serious vaccine hesitancy issues.

I’m in the next group for the vaccine so obviously have a slightly vested interest in this. The most convincing version I’ve seen so far is that the initial shot gives virtually no protection for about 14 days then starts to kick in, reaching peak protection (75%-80%) after roughly 21 days. At that point they hit your system with the second shot and the reaction to that, which is why people can get quite ill after the second dose, gives you just about the maximum protection you’re ever going to get. Is it correct? Who knows but it fits in very well with Pfizer’s recommedations.

News today is that 800 volunteers are going to be tested with two shots from different vaccines. Best of luck with that!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Hi LP,

Hmmmm…. From Senior Management’s Asst. Prof. oncologist at UCH MacMillan Cancer Centre in London (we clearly ended our trips to Erasmus Universiteit MC in just the nick of time), this is the first serious use of mRNA technology in anger, so to speak, and there is a lot of very compressed learning taking place. There is, frankly, a lot of supposition around both the best interval between inoculations and vaccine combinations. It is only going to be the passage of time and proper and rigorous epidemiological analysis of the various vaccines that is going to prove this one way or the other. This explains why there is still quite a lot of “interpretation” (code for raising finger in the air…) around intervals etc. We’ve learned the hard way just how much trial and error – and pure “artistry” there is to medicine. The latter point was made to us by a very highly skilled cardio-thoracic surgeon who had to carry out a lung-draining procedure on S/M back in Nov19.

Let’s face it, it is nothing short of miraculous that multiple labs worldwide were able to come up with what they have, in the timescales, and that BigPharma has been able to switch over to and gear up manufacture at the pace it has.

We had a glorious ten days on Swiss mountain railways this time last year, little realising just how lucky we were to get in the trip and just how very lucky (we made it down to Posciavo from Chur on the Bernina Express) we were not to pick up anything at that point. All the best to all of yours.

2 users thanked author for this post.

traveldoc
    Participant

As predicted, later on 3rd Feb (day I posted about travel plans) the river cruise was cancelled. Still debating whether to take voucher or refund. Company assures us that if we haven’t used the voucher by expiry date then we can get a full refund, though that depends on the company still being in business.

ghlotus
    Participant

Can someone please explain the following: People who receive the so-called vaccines are being told to continue wearing masks and keeping social distance, since they may still contract the virus (with less dangerous symptoms) and could still be contagious. Therefore, what is the sense for airlines to require such a vaccination in order to travel? Shouldn’t a recent negative test be a better/safer condition for travel?

Larson
    Participant

Actually the COVID-19 vaccine urges the body to make duplicates of the spike protein found on the Covid’s surface. But I am lil worried about the impact on fertility. As I am not sure about the side effects. But I will be definitely going to celebrate Passover in Miami.

LacieSmith
    Participant

I think the feelings of frustration, boredom and the serious impact and implications that Coronavirus has had and continues to have on travel and individuals.

With the (generally) positive news on vaccine development, authorisation and deployment I wondered who, if anyone, has plans already in the pipeline – business or leisure?

To provide some welcome light and something to look forward to Mrs Wingco has booked flights in November (hopefully sufficiently far in advance) GLA / LHR to LAX for a week near Santa Monica then heading out to Hawaii by ship before returning.

Do you share the optimism?

What are your plans?

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1092347]But I will be definitely going to celebrate Passover in Miami.[/quote]

Larson – how are you going to do that (in 6 weeks’ time)? Have you found a way of beating the various restrictions? Or, are you based in the USA already?

J_Pathmore
    Participant

The UK has really shot itself in the foot by causing so much panic across the globe, specifically focusing on South Africa’s variant. Case numbers in South Africa – where testing is fairly widespread – are now significantly lower than most of Europe. Deaths are plummeting too. Life is somewhat back to normal, with most people back in the office, restaurants and bars open (importantly they never closed, not even during the December/Jan surge). Hospitals have resumed normal operations.

If the South African variant is the one to focus on I hope it makes its way to Europe, where after 3-4 weeks of a strong surge, it burns itself out. Let’s see how the UK “scientists” will spin this one now that SA has had clear success with minimal interventions.

The negative press, nationalism, and panic driven factually inaccurate headlines in the UK lead me to believe that this will go on for years in the UK. Simply look at the attached graph and decide for yourself: https://www.google.com/search?q=south+africa+covid&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS835US835&oq=south+afri&aqs=chrome.1.69i59l2j46i131i433l2j69i57j69i61j69i60j69i61.2696j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

FYI: I’m not British and I don’t live in the UK, but I am a big fan and wish nothing but the best for the country

TominScotland
    Participant

J_Pathmore, you MAY be right about the South African variant but do remember that it is summer in South Africa now and, as we saw so clearly in the UK last summer, infections and deaths do plummet during warmer weather. I would counsel slightly greater caution here…..

Terry
    Participant

I received my 2nd Pfizer vaccine 2 weeks ago. I did a family visit to JAX this week. Maybe PSP in a few weeks. KOA March 3rd although Hawai’i requires a negative Covid test < 72-hours before final flight departure. And I booked LHR in October

ASK1945
    Participant

Terry: thank you for sharing this. However, these flights were all to USA destinations. Were you flying within the USA only? We have been discussing international flights and the possible reactions of different countries to vaccinations. From where were you flying?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls