Using mobile phones in airport lounges

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

• Deleted User
    Participant

DisgustedofSwiegi

I think you will find that a bottle of scotch and a couple of temazepan will cure the herd of elephants problem. However, caution needed, you may feel a different kind of flying.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not a doctor and please consider this post only as cure for hearing a herd of elephants inside an aeroplane.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Very good advice for my upcoming flight on Yangon Airways.

The Business Class amenity kit has now been upgraded to contain a parachute, which is long overdue, I think we all agree.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

CMB

All joking apart, I find that alcohol doesn’t always help me to sleep or I wake up feeling dehydrated.

VK

Can you clarify if the parachute is

(a) for you to exit

(b) to eject the elephantine cabin crew member (although I think this unlikely, as I heard that Yangon’s flavour of performance management included summary execution of cabin crew by airborne de-fenestration in response to customer complaints

(c) to remove the baby

Deleted User
    Participant

then replace the whisky with water and take an additional 1 or 2 temazepan or xanax or something similar.

My mother always wanted me to be a Dr.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Probably better stick with Dr Adamski’s Musical Pharmacy on Disgusted’s headphones. And a red wine from the decanter.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

To answer your question, Disgusted, there *is* a difference in our analysis because in three of your posts – even in the one from which you lifted the quotation in your reply to mine – you suggested there was a real risk of arrest. There is another significant difference, which is that my post was polite, to the extent that I even closed by thanking you for your contribution – yet in this thread alone you have described one poster’s comments as infantile and me as a boor, and implied that I was being unprofessional. Under the circumstances, I find it surprising that you regard *my* behaviour as provocative. However, I have no desire to be, or intention of being, drawn into an argument – or even a debate – with you, so I will simply close by wishing you happy (and quiet) traveling…

Ian

MickeyMao
    Participant

Simply, the airlines should set etiquette rules for their lounges. Many years ago there was a group of 5 pax dressed as bedouins in the old Kai Tak CX lounge – several chose against the rules to smoke cigars. They ignored the lounge staff. Rod Eddington who was the then CX airport manager came in and asked all 5 to leave the lounge – he then had their bags offloaded and told them they were not welcome on CX since their behaviour was such that they would likely behave worse on the plane if they already ignored CX lounge personnel. He had no shortage of volunteers in assisting the group to leave.
    Simple signs ” Please be courteous to fellow lounge users – this is a quiet zone mobile phone area ” around the place would help .
    Perhaps use your own mobile and make sure the person hears ” can you speak up – there is a deaf guy shouting at his phone here and I cannot hear you ”
    (followed by applause from other pax)
    would get the message across.

As a matter of interest the HK EPD once recorded the noise level in a local Chinese dim sum restaurant at 132 db which is 42 db higher than a legal exhaust muffler.

Charles-P
    Participant

I have seen signs concerning this problem in both Abu Dhabi and Copenhagen lounges. Anybody speaking loudly into a phone in the Emirates Business Lounge at Abu Dhabi will find a member of staff next to them almost straight away.

gavinfergie
    Participant

http://fegrig.posterous.com/i-have-a-hearing-problem

I’ve come across this a few times, you smile and put a brave face on things or you turn to industrial espionage, people are so indiscreet.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just came across this.

“Of particular concern are systems that are intended to provide wireless or wired access to passenger-owned devices for Internet and cellular telephone network access or onboard in-flight entertainment systems. The potential for terrorists to use such systems to communicate and coordinate tactics, both within the airplane and to team members on the ground and even on other airplanes, is a grave concern and one that has been discussed by the United States Departments of Justice and Homeland Security and the Federal Bureau of Investigation in comments to the Federal Communications Commission related to the issue of in-flight use of cellular telephones (United States Department of Justice, 2006).”

I’d never thought about that aspect till now, so more than ever I hope they don’t allow them to be used in the cabin!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

on a recent United Airlines flight I was able to communicate quite easily with my son via facebook. He was sending me photos of his round of golf and I was reciprocating by sending him pictures if the drinks trolley! I believe that IM is not allowed, but posting messages on facebook and the sending and receiving of emails was as fast as ever.

The only way this can be stopped is to pull the plug on in flight internet connections and in seat phones etc or somehow block any outbound data. However, that will be 1-0 to Mr Terrorist as I thought the whole idea of inflight communications was to communicate.

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls