Using cards abroad

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

• Chris in Makati
    Participant

[quote quote=919542]I seem to be in the minority that does not bother to go hunting for travel cards, i just use either my personal Amex, corporate mastercard or an ATM for cash (only my personam banks machines) from the basic maths i have done the cost seems negligable, unless i am missing something[/quote]

It depends how much you consider “negligible”. If I use my Amex card overseas they charge me a 3% non-Sterling transaction fee on any purchases. If I withdraw cash from an ATM then there’s another 3% fee on that as well.

Maybe business travellers who get their expenses reimbursed wouldn’t care about such charges, but if they’re coming out of my pocket I’ll do whatever I can to eliminate them.

2 users thanked author for this post.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=919542]I seem to be in the minority that does not bother to go hunting for travel cards, i just use either my personal Amex, corporate mastercard or an ATM for cash (only my personam banks machines) from the basic maths i have done the cost seems negligable, unless i am missing something[/quote]

@stevescoots
    Depends who’s paying the bill & whether you’re happy to be skinned of 3% on every transaction. Given I’m not missing out on anything, I’d rather that 3% in my pocket – just the same as I would when shopping around for a mortgage.

capetonianm
    Participant

I used my Revolut account this morning to convert GBP to 900 USD, at midrate, which I then transferred to a USD account. Cost 0.00.
    There may be charges at the recipient end but that would have applied equally if I’d used a bank.
    The cost of the transfer using my bank would have been £42.
    This was free, easy, and quick.
    No contest really.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls