Using cards abroad

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

• DerekVH
    Participant

I too was using Revolut but like handbag I realised I was missing out on Avios points. I have a Tesco premium card which has an annual £75 cost but when using I am still earning Avios and Tesco do not apply any charges for using the card abroad, the exchange rate they were using were not that much different to Revolut. I was foolishly using my BA Amex card for a long time before I worked out what this was costing!

handbag
    Participant

DerekVH
    The good thing about the Lloyds one is it is only £24 per annum. With all the points I accumulate abroad, it was well worth it. I was also getting a free upgrade voucher. That has stopped , shortly the card will too.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

I use my Metrobank debit card and a Tandem credit card while travelling. Both have no foreign currency fees (Metrobank only in Europe) and work very well.

HSBC Premier don’t offer a great product in the UK. Use your Premier privileges to open a Premier account in the US. No foreign usage fees on the debit as well as credit card, and they even refund any foreign ATM fees!

Swissdiver
    Participant

I am not so much into points when it comes to cards. That said, my Revolut gives me 1% cash back on amounts spent outside of Europe (and 0.1% in the Continent).

Johnnyg
    Participant

Interesting article on the BBC website tonight re the Revolut card.

A financial technology company whose “single-shaming” advertising campaign drew protests is facing scrutiny from the City watchdog over the issue.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47168860

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=918314]Interesting article on the BBC website tonight re the Revolut card.

A financial technology company whose “single-shaming” advertising campaign drew protests is facing scrutiny from the City watchdog over the issue.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47168860[/quote]
    Was discussing this with Ms. SD tonight. We both found this ad quite funny. But I guess some people need attention and therefore create a fuss for nothing. Welcome to the 21st Century.

rferguson
    Participant

LOVE Revolut. I use it pretty much exclusively when i’m downroute these days. So simple – the top up mechanism (quick and easy from your bank account), how it instantly sends you a push notification each time a transaction is made with the amount in local currency and GBP.

I was a little initially concerned about the lack of a customer service number to call in the event of any problems. A few months ago I had an issue where I used the card to withdraw cash from an ATM in Hong Kong. The transaction (admittedly only for about GBP30) was declined at the firs ATM so I went to another one and it worked fine. But when I checked my Revolut transactions the amount had been deducted for both the successful and unsuccessful withdrawl. I used the ‘online chat’ facility with Revolut and within 48hrs the declined transaction had been reversed. So, 10/10 for me.

silkenthreads
    Participant

I was introduced to Revolut by students who did not have a credit card. There was an article in FT this weekend about Revolut’s use of data.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=918534]I was introduced to Revolut by students who did not have a credit card. There was an article in FT this weekend about Revolut’s use of data.[/quote]

It didn’t reveal much, did it? That said, everything we do feed the big data. This is the 21st century! Bear with me: I hate the idea. But if you can^t beat it, join it…

capetonianm
    Participant

I just spotted this on the NatWest card website. I assume it’s new.

No foreign transaction fees

With no additional fees on transactions abroad, our card is a great way to spend while away.
    No foreign transaction fees

You won’t pay any additional fees on foreign transactions and there’s nothing added on top of the Mastercard exchange rate.
    What you should know

You’ll still pay fees on ATM and cash advance transactions abroad.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=917987]I too was using Revolut but like handbag I realised I was missing out on Avios points. I have a Tesco premium card which has an annual £75 cost but when using I am still earning Avios and Tesco do not apply any charges for using the card abroad, the exchange rate they were using were not that much different to Revolut…………….. [/quote]

I have had a non-fee Tesco Mastercard for years, which offers only derisory amounts of Avios, via conversion of the given Tesco Clubcard points. Having looked at the website, I see that the Premium card does offer double Clubcard points and there is a bonus for spending £2,500 in one year (easily achieved), which should help the accumulation of Avios. However, there is no mention of no charges for foreign transactions and cash withdrawals are charged.

Has the foreign transactions no charges benefit been continued post-Feb 1st, when the travel insurance benefit was dropped?

DerekVH
    Participant

There is no mention of that in the summary of changes, however, it does state “for existing customers”!

1 user thanked author for this post.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=917565]I am a great fan of the Curve Card which I have had for a couple of years now. I can spend overseas, withdraw money from a cashpoint and charge with minimal/no cost to my UK credit cards gaining the points etc. Curve are making some changes at the moment which could make it less attractive to some but as an original customer I still have access to the original ‘Black’ deal which was fantastic. https://www.curve.app/en-gb/[/quote]

Quite surprise there hasn’t been more support for Curve Card in here. You only need to carry 1 card but you can link all your cards to it, none of that pre-loading faff which other cards have & you can change which card has been billed after the transaction very easily in app.

givemeabreak
    Participant

I use a pre-paid Red Moneycorp Explorer Mastercard to which I can upload ten of the most popular travel currencies. I believe the card is only available to UK customers with a personal moneycorp acount. They also have a White card for which a personal account isn’t required.

We are frequent travellers to Australia with flights usually booked six months in advance. Moneycorps online ‘Track a Rate’ feature is extremely useful and I’ve never failed to get the rate I set or higher during a six month window. Loyalty rates are also available at a number of branches located in UK airports and a phone call to head office usually results in a loyalty rate.

The minimum load is £50 with a maximum £50,000 over a twelve month period. There is a small ATM charge in some countries ($2-3 in Australia) but if you withdraw cash over the counter it’s free. There are some charges for using the card in the UK but why would you use this card in the UK.

My, not very financially savvy, wife often travels to Oz on her own and I can monitor her spend online or via the app and top-up the card if necessary.

I love the card and would recommend it to anyone.

stevescoots
    Participant

I seem to be in the minority that does not bother to go hunting for travel cards, i just use either my personal Amex, corporate mastercard or an ATM for cash (only my personam banks machines) from the basic maths i have done the cost seems negligable, unless i am missing something

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls