Use of mobiles on planes

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

You left your phone on all flight. Statistically so did a number of others on the plane.

The flight didn’t crash, nor has a plane ever crashed because of interference from mobile phone. So the answer is fairly conclusive.

I doubt you would have the entire cabin screeching though. Calls from planes are expensive and capacity pretty limited.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

I’ve just learned to shut up and accept that any risk must be either theoretical or negligible. The same applies to the rule that all electronic devices must be fully switched off for take off and landing, I rarely see my fellow passengers doing this with their phones, let alone tablets, laptops or MP3 players etc. The cabin crew can’t enforce this as they are strapped into their seats during these periods. Same goes for removal of headphones, they will walk through and ask but I often see people just put them back on again, especially after the safety demonstration.

I think the theory is that mobiles will “shout” at the more distant ground-based receiver when airborne, the higher energy of which could interfere with avionics. I don’t know the theory behind non-transmitting devices having to be switched off during the critical phases of flight, perhaps they still give off a small amount of electromagnetic radiation when switched on, including on standby.

As others have said, enforcement of these rules is nigh impossible even with the best intentions of passengers who will naturally forget. I think it’s more just the etiquette issues of mobile phones which we have extensively debated on here around lounges, hotels and trains.

On a recent BA flight where I was in row 1, the CSD used her iPad while seated for take off and landing. Can’t imagine the staff issue devices are any different from the consumer lines.

TCSH11
    Participant

Regardless of what or how a mobile phone or electrical device effects an aircraft, why can business men, passengers alike just switch them off and leave them off for the pure and simple reason

BECAUSE YOU ARE TOLD TOO…….

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I love the attitude of the Japanese towards mobile phones – it is a social gaffe to use them on any form of public transport and is deeply frowned upon.

Simon

TCSH11
    Participant

Maybe we should adopt that Simon… lol

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Bunnahabhain – 27/09/2013 20:12 GMT

As someone who has flown around old technology single and twin engined light aircraft, I would not want electronic devices on in that environment, as the aircraft screening was designed years before modern electronic gadgets and mobiles, in particular, did cause some funny things to occur (e.g. heading readin 30 degrees worng.)

On a modern Boeing or Airbus, I see the risk as being neglible, as they are designed to cope, but there are still some older aircraft kicking around, so the authorities tend to play to the lowest common denominator, which makes sense.

The FAA recently relaxed the regs somewhat and in a few years, I believe the rule will be dropped (perhaps apart from t/o and landing), but until then the risk averse stance makes a lot of sense to me.

SimonS1
    Participant

I’ve never yet come across a case where the safety of a flight was compromised by someone using a mobile phone.

If they were in any way dangerous they wouldn’t be allowed on board. These days the majority of passengers carry them and bits inevitable some get left on.

fatbear
    Participant

How about talking through the safety demonstration ?

SimonS1
    Participant

What about it? Up to the cabin crew to tell them to shut up.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

FDoS out of interest how would you therefore risk rate my example of the CSD using her iPad (let’s assume it was in flight safe mode) immediately behind the flight deck on a BA 767-300 during approach and landing?

What is the minimum I should expect of my fellow pax on a Saab 340, not the youngest of birds out there, in terms of flight safe mode or totally switched off? The guy next to me the other day did neither for the whole flight – and he was several times my size such that he could have easily ejected me through the emergency overwing exit beside his seat 7D – in fact I did have more concern about his suitability to sit there than any navigational interference from his mobile. The CSD had no interest in either, which I sadly find common.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Hi Bunnahabain

I don’t have the knowledge of either aircraft to comment, unfortunately.

BA will have an SOP as to whether the iPad can be used during t/o and landing, it should obviously be followed by the crew, but I don’t know what it is.

If the crew did not enforce the electronics policy on the SAAB 340 and if you thought the pax was unsuitable for an exit seat, I would certainly contact the airline directly and raise your concerns with the ‘accountable manager’, which has a specific meaning.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

Thanks FDoS, to be fair to the cabin crew even on small aircraft like the Saab 340 I don’t see how they can ultimately enforce the policies on setting electronic equipment to flight safe mode, then switching it off completely for take-off. Same again for landing, the times when the crew are themselves in their seats. They may walk through while checking the seat belts are fastened and be able to spot any obvious breach, but short of confiscating the equipment for take-off and then again for landing, it’s a difficult task to control at least 30 pax (I think there’s a maximum of around 50 pax per CC member) at busy times of the flight anyway.

Presumably there are also SOPs on eligibility to occupy an emergency exit, we were indeed asked if we were comfortable with sitting there and perhaps in doing so the crew member makes a visual assessment of the pax. I had no doubts over my neighbour’s strength to open the window, but as to fitting through the hole was another matter. I duly bore in mind that the nearest usable exit may well have been opposite me.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I carry three phones, one for Switzerland, one for S. Africa and one for the UK. Returning from a recent London trip into Lugano, which was a nightmare due to cancellations etc, and being shattered, I’d forgotten to turn off the SA and UK phones.

I was in the Saab 340, Darwin Airlines, and as we started our descent into Lugano the phone must have picked up the Italian signals and both set off their respective “welcome to” sms’s. I was embarrassed but the plane went on to make a perfect landing!

If I’d left my Swiss phone on as well, would we have ended up in the lake? I think we should be told 😉

canucklad
    Participant

Regarding phone usage, I’m going to be slightly controversial and make the following points……

1) Comply with the rules, we expect it of our employees and customers..…Switch it off or face the consequences, mobile phones are a luxury not a necessity….
    2) As business people, indeed some of us out there are in leadership roles….so if you can’t do without being in constant contact then I would question your time management ,delegation and motivation skills…..and it might be time to review your current working practice
    3) It’s also plane rude…..how long before we demand quiet cabins?

Oh, and I would like to add I have, like LP also fallen foul of a memory lapse….my face was beetroot as my near neighbour glared at me…..
    Never again…..

Bunnahabain’s point of people of size resonated with me, as it reminded me of last night’s C5 down market programme entitled “Too fat to fly”
    I will start a new topic……based on the programme later on today.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls