Use of 2-4-1 vouchers

Back to Forum

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  rferguson 14 Feb 2019
at 19:47

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Montysaurus
    Participant

Can Amex 2-4-1 vouchers for BA be used on other OneWorld metal?

Ekond222
    Participant

…no – the Amex 2 for 1 voucher can only be redeemed on BA metal…

Congy
    Participant

What is oneworld metal?

GivingupBA
    Participant

What is oneworld metal?

Aircraft of airlines in the Oneworld Alliance

NorskSharp
    Participant

Unfortunately not – life would be much better if we could!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forum NorskSharp, and apologies for your first post needing to be approved (which is why it is now out of order in the sequence above).

Montysaurus
    Participant

Thanks all. As I expected!

NorskSharp
    Participant

Thanks Tom, I’ve been lurking in the shadows for many years reading the forums and stories. Thought it was a good time to start participating!

OneA
    Participant

No. BA only on all legs and only ex UK.

ASK1945
    Participant

…no – the Amex 2 for 1 voucher can only be redeemed on BA metal…

As others have written, this is true. But, the policy is an absolute pain !!

I have just booked using a 241 voucher for long distance business class flights, for the 16th consecutive year (I was told that I was the first to use one in January 2003, the day after they were first produced by BA).

For popular routes with limited daily available seats (eg Singapore, Sydney, Rio de Janeiro) it is essential to book the outward flight 350 days before the planned date of departure, at the stroke of midnight of the day of release. Unfortunately, the return flight is not available then, so the system is that you book the outward flight only using the voucher, and then when the return flight is available, you phone BA and amend the booking (at no amendment charge) by adding the new flights and paying the additional “taxes”.

The problem is that you can only do this amendment by phone and BA does not open for amendments until 0600 UK time. So there are 6 hours for others to book the limited number of seats between midnight and then, when they are making a new return booking online.

I have just had the galling experience – with a South America booking for next January – of seeing at midnight on “release day” that there were two available seats for my return flight from Rio (on the day I wanted) having disappeared by 0600 the next morning. However, there were seats available on Iberia via Madrid for that day but not being open for my use of our 241 voucher. I have had to book for another day, not as convenient.

christopheL
    Participant

This is BA policy to make those 241 vouchers almost unusable on flights where they could be lucrative for passengers.
    Unfortunately it is not possible to both pay dividends and be focused on passenger’s expérience.
    BA made there choice.

Mikeact
    Participant

Very risky, but have you tried to book the return once you are at your destination or is it even possible, having completed the outbound ?
    Of course, if can be easier if you are Avios rich, ie book the return as soon as you see it etc.

ASK1945
    Participant

Very risky, but have you tried to book the return once you are at your destination or is it even possible, having completed the outbound ?

Of course, if can be easier if you are Avios rich, ie book the return as soon as you see it etc.

I am assuming you are answering my point. If I have got this wrong, apologies.

Not only would this be very risky, but I don’t see the point. Taking your first suggestion, it’s unlikely that you would see an available return flight at the destination using Avios. It would also be two single flights each, in each direction, with only the outward flight using the 241 voucher. Very expensive.

Likewise, booking the return flight as soon as you see it on the website would be treated the same way and be very expensive.

My return flight from South America was a day earlier than originally planned but saved 87,000 Avios – worth about £900 when valued accoding to the current Avios sale. However, my main point was in answer to Montysaurus – seats were still available for the day I wanted on Iberia (the same company as BA), but the 241 was not useable on this airline.

ASK1945
    Participant

This is BA policy to make those 241 vouchers almost unusable on flights where they could be lucrative for passengers.

It’s very difficult to work out how much I have saved during the last 16 years, always using my 241 voucher for long distance bsuiness or first class flights, but it has to be in the region of more than £32,000 (in 2019 money). I have never failed to get these flights – for literally all over the world – on or around the days I wanted to fly. However, forward planning is essential when booking for popular routes.

So, I simply don’t agree that “241 vouchers [are] almost unusable”.

rferguson
    Participant

As with most ‘promos’ there are caveats. And with the Amex 2-4-1 deal you need to be very very flexible.

I’ve used mine over the past few years for travel in F each year. Johannesburg was the most recent. The year before HKG. The year before that GRU (which seems to have generally pretty decent F availability – especially when looking for two seats). And the one before that to NRT.

And that’s where I say the flexibility factor comes in. None of the above cities were my ultimate destination (except HKG). I couldn’t fine Avios availability to CPT so flew to JNB instead then hopped over on Comair. The GRU trip was actually to Rio, but again no F available to Rio so to GRU we go and a short domestic hop to Rio. And the Narita trip we were aiming for Shanghai. No F availability to Shanghai, there was to NRT so we added in two nights in Tokyo on the way then brought JL tickets NRT-PVG with Avios.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
BUSINESS-TRAVELLER-FEB-COVER
BUSINESS-TRAVELLER-FEB-COVER
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls