Use a different FF card to enter lounges

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

noelpjohn
    Participant

Sorry if this have been asked before, I have been offered to transfer my BAEC Gold to Qantas FF Platinum as I travel a lot more in Australia these days (not a great status match offer mind you). I have to clock up my QFF status over the next 3 months so need to book future flights with my QFF card. I’m wondering if I can still access the first lounges during this time, can I just show my BAEC Gold card at Qantas first lounges and still enter even if my QFF is on my boarding card?

SimonS1
    Participant

As I understand it, no.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

noelpjohn – 23/05/2016 01:14 BST

I’ve never been in that position, but IIRC there was a thread awhile ago on Flyertalk on the mechanics of how to do something similar at BA lounges – I’ve post in the BA forum across there, as there are some people with knowledge down to an excruciating level of detail 🙂

If anyone knows a workaround, it is likely you’ll find them on there.

christopheL
    Participant

As a OW Emerald (BA Gold) you have access to all QF First class lounges provided you are flying on a OW marketed and operated flight.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

fults_flyer
    Participant

Yes, you can do that. I continue to access Star Alliance and OW lounges with cards from Aegean and Air Berlin whilst having other FF programs on the booking to accrue miles and status with them. Going for double top status with both alliances just for the fun of it.

first_class_please
    Participant

I had the above situation but with Etihad. As I did not have status with them I took the Alitalia status match to my BA Gold, while I collected EY points.

I went to the EY lounge, and showed my Alitalia card and no issues as it ‘was on the list for lounge access’ and I had an EY boarding pass.

Would image the same in your situation.

noelpjohn
    Participant

Thanks for all of your responses, certainly has answered my question. I’ll be flying to LA in few weeks and will try it out!

Glad I won’t miss out on the fantastic First dining in the Qantas lounge 🙂

EU_Flyer
    Participant

How easy they make it depends on the lounge attendant. The oneworld rules – as christopeL – has mentioned above are clear. Perhaps take a copy handy to assist if you have any problems?

Also, if – like me – you enjoy doing a ‘tour’ of lounges you’re eligible for particularly at large hubs where you have may options (eg Singapore where an Emerald can access QF/BA/CX lounges) I presume the ticketed airline gets charged for every entrance? Could get expensive. I’m surprised there isn’t a one lounge per flight rule.

Any thoughts on this?

ScottWilson
    Participant

Yes I have done this many times.

I have QFF Gold status (OW Sapphire) and BA Gold, whenever I fly Qantas I credit to QFF because it earns more, but otherwise I credit to BA, and i use my BA Gold card whenever flying QF where there is a first class lounge (or domestically in Australia the QF Business Lounges which are OW Emerald accessed, whereas the Qantas Clubs are OW Sapphire).

ScottWilson
    Participant

One tip is to use a BA Gold card for the booking, because it gives you immediate access to preferred seating on QF that QF Gold wont give you, such as front rows and exit rows etc. Then at check in ask to credit the booking to QF.

batterytraveller
    Participant

Should be no issue at all. When I first moved to Australia I status matched to air Berlin from delta. It gave me lounge access whilst I built status with Qantas. Most of the time I just showed my card to get into the lounge, occasional they’d check the boarding pass but never an issue with not having the first card on the reservation.

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

Yes you can. I’ve transitioned from Aadvantage to BAEC.

Had a bit of a problem with the QF lounge in MEL but a call to the Qantas Premium line seemed to have sorted it out.

BA Galleries First at T5 even allowed me to access the lounge using Aadvantage status (EXP) while accruing mileage to BAEC. So again no problems there.

At HKG and KUL, no dramas either. Was able to use the CX and MH F lounges and F check-in counters despite accruing to a different programme.

The only challenges were where OW carriers utilise contract lounges (e.g. HAN). On that route with QR (HAN/BKK) I accrued to Aadvantage just to avoid the drama. Opportunity cost = 5 TP.

onajetplane
    Participant

I have been in the past in a position that I had gold status on one account, but wanted to accrue on another. On checking in I put my gold status account on the booking, accessed the lounge… and then when I got to the gate I asked them to change the FF account on my booking. Have done this a few times – never any problems – sometimes you get a new boarding pass, other times not, but always get the miles on the account I wanted. Means no issue with lounge access, yet you also get the miles in the account you want.

noelpjohn
    Participant

Just back from a trip through SYD and as you all said, yes they let me in the First lounge even though my Bronze QFF was on my boarding card. Simply showed the rep my Gold BAEC card, he quickly verified my BA status on his computer, then welcomed me with a typical Aussie ‘Congrats on moving to better club’ with jest. Thanks for all advice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls