USB sticks annoy me

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

excessbaggage
    Participant

I’ve just bought O2 mobile broadband for my laptop, which obviously comes with a USB stick to create the connection. I’m amazed that they haven’t come up with technology to either make the sticks smaller, or at least make them a different shape so that they don’t stick (no pun intended) precariously out of the laptop.

I’m constantly worried that mine will be bashed and broken by someone putting a bag down next to me when i’m working on a train. We can put a man on the moon (supposedly), but we can’t work out how to change the shape of a piece of plastic…

flyingformiles
    Participant

I believe Nokia have announced a new netbook with a built-in modem/SIM card reader.

excessbaggage
    Participant

Now you tell me 😉 I guess that’s all very well going forward, but not much use for the huge numbers of users with existing laptops without this functionality.

thespecialone
    Participant

Fujitsu and Sony I believe have models with built in 3g sim card capabilities that mean you dont need to use a USB dongle. Pretty simple to set up with supplied software. Any help, please post me a message.

Potakas
    Participant

Also LG and Dell, many people they don’t know this, but if you remove the battery in those laptops then you will be able to see the slot for the sim.

Travellator
    Participant

I bought a mobile router called a MIFi it is about the size of a credit card and about 10mm thick. It is officially only available from Three but you can buy them unlocked. It act s as a wireless router so more than 1 person can go online at the same time so you could keep this in your brief case or pocket and log on. You insert your sim in it and away you go. So your i phone and laptop and any other gizmos can all connect.

Do a search for Huawei E5830, I paid about £ 70 unlocked.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks Travellator – sounds just whats needed especially when there are 3 of us figting for the sim card connection.

Travellator
    Participant

Re my post about MiFi just reading in SundayTimes about having to use a special sim for the i Pad cos it will not take your normal 3G sim. The MiFi is an excellent way of getting round this. Your i Pad will simply recognise your MiFi !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls