US SIM card – help needed

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ll shortly be going to the US, landing at JFK and as I have to pay my own phone bills I’m looking to reduce the costs.

My basic need is for data rather than talk time or sms’s as I can use Viber, WhatsApp etc for calling the family.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a prepaid SIM card and can I buy it when I arrive at JFK?

I’d be grateful for any help and advice.
    Thanks,
    LP.

PS. There’s no time to buy a card from a UK based provider as there is not enough time to receive it before I leave, so I’m really looking for a US solution.

Charles-P
    Participant

‘LuganoPirate’ – keep a eye out for the machines selling ‘Sprint’ sim cards at JFK. My daughter uses these whenever she is in the US and they are good value. They come with about $10 worth of free calls and you can add to that with your credit card online.

Charles.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Charles. Do you know if this card will also allow you to buy and use data?

Charles-P
    Participant

Yes they will.

Tim2soza
    Participant

Be aware that some SiM cards allow data but prevent VOIP (voice over internet) I use http://www.nordvpn.com to get round this, plus it also allows the iPad to access UK TV services like Sky Go, BBC iPlayer and ITV player. You can buy by the month, or pay $48 per year. I have no association with nordVPN other then being a satisfied customer.

There is also plenty of free Wi-Fi around. McDonalds, Panera bread, most airports etc.

Finally, 3 UK offers in bundle calls and data in the US for no roaming premium, so you can use your 3 phone in the US as though it is on a UK tariff. Note if you go over your UK minutes and data allowance, the high roaming fees kick in.

Tramor01
    Participant

LP – Try T-Mobile
    They have a PAYG sim
    I’ve been using it for about 7 months now as I visit the USA every two months or so these days _ More details can be found here.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go

I just went into the store on Madison Ave – pretty painless

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks everyone, I’ll let you know how it works out.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks everyone, I’ll let you know how it works out.

goldaviator
    Participant

@ Tramor01 – 03/11/2015 19:01 GMT

Do you know if the T-mobile sim expires? I have an AT&T sim but have to top it up at least every two months or it expires. I don’t get to the US quite that often so may be wasting money on unnecessary top ups to keep the number going?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I appreciate the advice and thanks again, but in the end I got an AT&T payg card for no other reason than they were just opposite my hotel. I set off to the T mobile shop as that seemed closest, crossed the road and there was AT&T!

$45 for unlimited calls, text and data, though only the first 1.5 gb is high speed, but for 5 days that’s enough for me.

Charles, I did look but couldn’t see any Sprint machines at the airport, perhaps I was in the wrong terminal but then I saw the queue beginning to form for the taxis so rushed out before it got too long.

Charles-P
    Participant

LuganoPirate – I’m just glad you were able to find a solution. Sounds like the AT&T package is fairly reasonable, I will let my daughter know who is in New York far more often than me.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I thought it reasonable as well Charles, especially after the SMS from swisscom wanting CHF 5 per mb! What a ripoff?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls