US immigration

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

PhileasFogg
    Participant

Any idea on why the country with one of the most advanced information systems has the most frustrating airport immigration process?

On my last entry to the US, I had only 5 people ahead of me and it took 1 hour to clear the line!

Officers spend hours looking at the pc waiting for some kind of clearence – do they operate with windows 98??

The officer´s questions rarely take more than 1 minute so why doesn´t the information pop up faster on their screens in order to clear the lines faster? Any insights?

capetonianm
    Participant

I must have been lucky because whenever I’ve entered the US it’s been quick and easy and the people have been pleasant. Only had one bad experience and that was arriving in transit at MIA from Bogota, I missed my connection due to very slow and thorough processing of the Colombianos who comprised most of the passengers.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

It should be a mark of a civilised country that it can manage its borders efficiently. Americans are almost all charming, and a delight to know, and it is in many ways a wonderful country: but it fails on this measure. Yes, some times entry is quick and efficient, but often not.

On this measure, the UK also fails.

thomaslanfranchi87
    Participant

On my way to Europe I’ve experienced Immigration at Houston & Dallas. In my opinion, at both airports the process was quite quick: I guess it does depends also on the time or arrival.
    However something that caught my attention was the functionality of the body scanners.
    I was going through them when the Security Guard told his collegue: “I can’t scan cuz I can’t calibrate the machine” and i went through the usual metal detector: can someone explain to me why it happened??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls