US Entry and Customs

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• JD_84
    Participant

Flew into EWR last night and surprised by the line to immigration. there were no Global Entry kiosks open but still line moved very quickly. However, was really taken aback that they are no longer stamping (UK) passports on arrival, we had to ask for a stamp – hubby wanted the first stamp in his new Blue Book.

More than that though, no customs declaration form either paper copy or electronic terminal. Is this the new normal? When flying into LAS earlier this summer still had to complete a paper customs form.

stevescoots
    Participant

I have flown in twice this year into US, into RDU and JFK. Both times no stamp and no more customs docs

1 user thanked author for this post.

SwissExPat
    Participant

I fleww into PHL from Europe twice in the last few months (as a returning ESTA).

First time I used the kiosks which generated a paper slip (including a customs declatarion which was stamped by the border control officed). Passport stamped and then I handed the paper slip to the customs person on exiting, having collected my bags.

Yesterday, there were no Kiosks. I filled in the paper customs slip. Passport stamped.

Seems the system changes so dont know what to expect.

IN both cases, PHL was quick (maybe 5-10 mins in total)

Cheeryguy
    Participant

Speaking to the crew about this, I would appear that each port of entry is free to interpret the rules as they see fit. Some States choosing one method and others not. Therefore some gateway will require forms and some not.

GreenScot
    Participant

This year I have flown internationally into JFK, IAD, MIA, LAX, and ATL, plus cross-border at YYZ on my GE. At every other airport except Atlanta, a quick photo at the GE kiosk and paper slips were handed to CBP and on my way with no stamp. This was the same as pre-pandemic, except now it is facial recognition at the GE kiosk rather than a passport scan followed by a photo. However, at ATL until a month ago, they were stamping my passport on entry, and when I asked why, they told me the other airports were not following procedures.

Since the beginning of Sept, I have entered ATL twice, and they have gone completely paperless. Photo taken at GE booth, no slips of paper, approach the CBP booth, no stamp. In fact, on my arrival on Monday, the CBP officer said are you “my first name” and waved me on. Didn’t even look at my passport nor L1 visa.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls