US Court orders seat size review

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

From the Independent – the story says a US appeals court judge has ordered the FAA to re-evaluate the impact of smaller seats on air travel.

Whether this will have much impact is open to debate, but at least the narrative has started.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/airlines-incredible-shrinking-airline-seat-federal-court-latest-travelers-washington-appeals-court-a7871766.html

Edski777
    Participant

The best ruling: a diet and more excercise. πŸ˜‰
    Solves a lot more problems than the size of an airline seat.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

We wrote about this yesterday

Court could put brakes on shrinking airline seats

Interesting that the Independent requires you to answer a question to finish reading the article !

Flightlevel
    Participant

Enthusiasts magasine “Airliner World” this month included a seven page article by Dr.Nicola Davies about this subject, backed up by the two people in Airbus and Boeing delegated to satisfy their customer demands.
    Called “densification” of the cabin seating;so some of us are getting densified on some airlines!

K1ngston
    Participant

I would be banned for life and locked up and the key thrown away if I said what I really think about this report ….

Needless to say, there is always less intake of food, exercise and diet which could help and then there would not need to be a study conducted …. You gotta love the yanks!!!

Polly
    Participant

Really???? Just make them pay for two seats. Have you ever sat next to one of these human beings? Sorry to be so un PC, no study needed at all. Hawaiian airlines are making some pax do just that! Common sense must prevail at some point in this debate…l am a health professional so am allowed to discuss this!

AngieR65
    Participant

What people are missing here is that it isn’t just about diet, exercise and girth. Please consider tall passengers when making comments about making people diet and exercise and paying for two seats. Any reduction in pitch and size of seat affects them dramatically. I have a tall partner (over 6’5 with long legs) and he always needs to pay extra for legroom seats and even flying BA Club Europe leaves him folded up and extremely uncomfortable on flights. Sticking legs out into the aisle doesn’t work before anyone suggests it, it just causes a trip hazard for the stewards and other passengers. And if the person in front reclines their seat – don’t even go there. If seats and personal space on airlines continue to be reduced, tall people won’t be able to fly so any regulations will be welcomed in our household.

K1ngston
    Participant

AngieR65, whilst I feel for your partner, I can only imagine how difficult it is coming from someone who wasn’t blessed in the height department. However they are talking about girth not pitch, which is a completely different argument and whatever the legroom would be, your partner will suffer…

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

..another glowing example of people bashing the “I know my rights drum” and conveniently ignoring their responsibilities.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Just as there are metal frames for carry on baggage checks there should be seat frames at check-in. “If your bum can’t fit into this then buy another seat”

You should be able to go to any airport and be “approved” for travel in a single seat so that you can use online check in.

Edski777
    Participant

…with rights come responsibilities. With an excessive food intake come higher costs. Alas, not only in the airline department.
    Our American cousins have indeed only gotten part of the message. It seems they have some problems with the “responsibilities” part and try to reason it away with fake science. Hmmm, we seem to use the word “fake” quite often lately. How come?

K1ngston
    Participant

…. but thats not news apparently Edski777!

Edski777
    Participant

Come to think of it: K1ngston, you’re right! πŸ˜‰ Any suggestions on how to solve this?

K1ngston
    Participant

Edski777 as I said previously diet, diet, and diet … with a healthy mix of exercise and a iota of self love …..

Now that may be considered news πŸ™‚

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It’s been a long-running debate

Obese Passengers

I remember on a previous thread someone suggested having a cardboard silhouette of a passengers and if you couldn’t pass through it you would have to buy two seats, but the seat test works just as well as the cabin baggage test.

And then there was this suggestion

β€œFat Tax” on Flying

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls