Upping The Game

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

Airpocket
    Participant

As per BT’s news item earlier today, it seems LH are really lifting their game as an airline, teaming up with the blue-chip Leela group in India to provide inflight catering on flights to and from India.Good for them and good for all those who will be flying LH to and from India.It’s high time in-flight catering was given some added zest, no pun intended! I keenly look forward to the feedback from those who experience the new menus and catering in the near future.

The questions now are: 1)will the enhanced catering be rolled out onto SWISS and Austrian as well, seeing that both fly to India and are owned by LH?
    2)Will the Indian carriers, Jet/Kingfisher, also up their game? Of late, some of their inflight catering leaves something to be desired.However, I don’t see Vijay Mallya just sitting back and letting LH take more market share.
    3)Will the UK carriers, amidst all the chocolate rationing (just like in WWII!) and new surcharges, be able to afford to keep up with LH, 9W, and Kingfisher?
    It would be interesting to hear from BT’s German/Austrian/Swiss readers in order to see how they evaluate the recent move by LH and the other issues raised.

Hess963
    Participant

I can tell from my recent experiences with 9W, LX and OS regarding
    their food service in C and F classes.

9W–it was definitely the first time in their world class business class that I experienced great Indian dishes for European palates. I didn’t regret choosing the Indian choices and trying them. Comparing to some airlines the quantity might seem small–but this really depend on the person’s needs.

LX–I really enjoyed their F food service–I have never experienced being hungry or not getting the choice I wanted on the menu. Mostly the Western options are great that I have not tried Indian options for example. Unfortunately I feel C class food do not follow the great food service of F class–but this is really my own personal opinion. C class food could be better and more well presented.

OS–I am sure the most frequent flyers here now of DO&CO’s reputation of a great catering company, so OS has a good hand here for years now. The cook onboard — as everyone knows who have experienced such service–is just great. OS still serves in the classic way by showing the different choices on a trolley. I have not experieced a bad meal or choice–onced there was an Indian option–it was presented optically well and the pax sitting beside who ordered it was absolutely satisfied. The cook and the F/As are so great–really attentive, the presentation were always nice and a feast for the eyes.
    For me the best part is when you ordered from the different coffee variations regarding the famous Viennese coffee tradition with the corresponding desserts–just heavenly !!

So coming back to the topic–I definitely think that LH, LX and OS could only benefit with such cooperations. The Indian pax or Indian food lovers could really regard themselves as the winners as they can experience great Indian palates. It will be a huge competition between Indian carriers and European carriers etc. 9W and Kingfisher really show AI who are the best in the subcontinent at the moment.
    Which Indian airline wants to lose more market share in their home turf? But is not it great that airlines do consider how to cater their premium pax the best way. It is definitely a good move of LH and hope LX and OS take the same steps.

pat_travels
    Participant

I think all the carriers out of BOM could benefit from an uplift in quality, quantity and choice of food on flights. Credit to LH for paying attention to customer needs.

I feel they already have the best lounge in BOM, even with newly opened BA and EK lounges, LH still has a good operation, with a nice food selection on the ground which is fresh and varied in choice.

9W tries hard, but does serve a 100% Indian orienated menu – ok, it is an Indian carrier but more choice would be nice. BA however claim to have a wider choice but it is simply terrible.

BOM/LHR F class last week on BA was hopeless. My letter to customer services was replied to very fast, but maintained BA gets very positive feedback about its food service on Indian routes – rubbish was my reply!

For me EK, serves up consistently good food BOM/DXB/LHR

Airpocket
    Participant

‘morning posters. In response to Hess, yes, 9W could increase their portions. I’ve only flown them in Economy and while I think their inflight service and entertainment is quite good, they sure could increase the portions. I’m not a big eater but even I find the portions small for a 9 hour flight.
    In response to Pat, yes, 9W should widen the choice available.Being an Indian airline is no excuse for serving primarily Indian cuisine. After all, I doubt the majority of the passengers on the, say, Brussels-North America or PVG-SFO routes would prefer Indian cuisine seeing that they would be either Europeans, N.Americans, or Chinese.
    Pat…Ssshh…you can’t say that sort of thing on here about BA! The ‘BA Mullahs’ will declare a cyber jihad against you for being profane and sacriligeous! :o)

pat_travels
    Participant

Good afternoon, from sunny Colombo – food on UL BOM/CMB nothing to write home about, however the champagne was flowing from a very decent bottle.

‘Airpocket’ – agree with all your comments and must admit I did have second thoughts about mentioning BA!!! Only because I was sure the thread would soon be ruined.

Nonetheless as a Gold card holder who also flies with many other airlines I think BA needs to be mindul of customer service. This is a great move by LH and although OS are a good carrier, their connections onwards to London are no good for me but LH can compete nicely.

Good food and service is all part of the deal as far as I am concerned. Most of my flights are paid for out of my own pocket and Business/First seats are all about the whole experience for me. The fact grumpy, overpaid CSDs will be part of the meal service soon on BA does not excite me, so maybe its time to give LH a try.

[ I am thinking this will cause all sorts of replies now]

Airpocket
    Participant

Hello again Pat, I had no idea UL served champagne on the flights down to Colombo. Good for them, and for those imbibing! Dare I ask the brand? For instance, is it vintage Krug ? :o)
    I wonder who carry out the catering functions for UL in Bombay. Maybe it’s the Taj Group.They can be somewhat hit-and-miss.
    In extension to what you say, I don’t think one ought to fear the onslaught from those with trigger-fingers who feel the need to go over the trenches in defence of BA.I for one will keep posting regardless, with my customary blend of cheeky public-schoolboy humour and Private Eye-esque satire.

pat_travels
    Participant

Sri Lankan airlines give a good value for money service on the flight BOM/CMB in business. For info Airpocket, thank goodness no Vintage Krug on UL, I find it often leaves a bitter taste in my mouth anyway!! Alas a humble glass or two of Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top is served. Catering is return loaded from CMB and its OK.

Some of the bigger player airlines out of BOM could learn a thing or two from UL re service, quantity and attention to detail

The UL lounge in CMB is very good too

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

Pat you know and a lot of BA Exec status holder users here know that condemning the CSDs in general as grumpy overpaid persons is not that good. Yes, there are some who really mess the whole picture–but condemning all as the same–is not really true. Just an example–the most attentive BA F/As I encountered mostly with the best attitudes are the CSDs.

Airpocket–what on earth gives you the right to continue on bashing Vintage Krug ?–apart from your past sniding and insults from previous comments–could we really go further on now and comment only objectively over relevant issues. You know you can contribute here without losing any cheeky comments.

Actually Airpocket you are the one who is being profane and sacriligeous here and calling people or companys “..mullahs…cyber jihad..” Please give us a break will you..!!

Airpocket
    Participant

I didn’t actually say anything about VintageKrug the BT poster. I was merely enquiring about the type of champage served on Sri Lankan airlines.You need to distinguish between the lower case ‘v’ and the upper case ‘V’ (you would have saved yourself a lot of anguish). If anything, YOU dragged Vintage Krug into this post.I’m not sure how he would feel about that.
    And, there is nothing wrong with using the word “mullah” or the word “cyber”. They’re used in the media on a daiIy basis.I don’t understand what you it is you find so offensive. Personally, I think you’re just being over-sensitive and working up a froth.
    Do you have a favourite champagne Hess? As Pat said, vintage Krug leaves a bad taste in the mouth :o)

pat_travels
    Participant

Hess – I do not often contribute to the threads on BT.

From time to time I see a topic where I have some first hand experience and knowledge and wish to add my comment. A forum is a place to express ones opinions and thoughts. I travel a great deal and very frequently on BA in club or first. I have an opinion re the CSDs on BA – I will express that opinion thank you! I was not condemning ALL the CSDs as grumpy overpaid persons, merely expressing my opinion AND I stand by that opinion. I have no care whether that is ‘not that good’ or not. My communications to BA directly cover my thoughts comprehensively

Surely comments, opinions, thoughts and expressions of interest are the point of the forum??? Very pleased to see on the subject of the EK Skywards programme, comments and thoughts expressed on the BT Forum have been taken seriously by the airline.

Surely that is what it is all about??

Airpocket
    Participant

It’s good to see that the smaller airlines aren’t scrimping on the goodies, even if it is just a couple of glasses. I wonder if Indian Airlines,Jet, and Kingfisher offer champagne in the premium cabins.

pat_travels
    Participant

Yes, it was a real pleasure to fly UL with traditional hospitality and good service.

Jet are similarly good on short haul international flights. DEL/KTM 2 weeks ago and the champagne was flowing with good food accompanying.

For domestic Indian flights it is illegal to serve or drink alcohol onboard

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello everyone,

this evening from a pleasantly warm and balmy Tel Aviv.

I am just about to go on my first trip to India in December so this thread is particularly well timed and I certainly have food for thought, if you will excuse the pun, in terms of the carrier that I choose to fly with on this occassion.

Airpocket, I really do quite enjoy most of your public schoolboy humour and Private Eye satire. That said, I can distinguish between the lower and upper case V’s that you had a go at Hess about.

Were it not for your previous form with VK then your post might actually have been funny, rather than just another snipe at VK. Your intention was very clear and I do not believe that anyone is being oversensitive with regards to your continual sniping at VK or your bringing VK into this thread. You could have chosen any brand of Champagne but you did not, eliciting the ‘leaves a bad taste in your mouth ‘ response from the other poster which of course you just had to repeat in your reply to him. I wonder why?

Please continue the humour and satire but leave VK out of it!!

Airpocket
    Participant

” I’ll see if we have any left”, as they say up in the air.
    Personally, I prefer the term “pot shots” rather than “sniping”. Too many people on here have lazily resorted to adopting the latter.
    I may have to now re-work my entire routine/schtick now that I’ve been asked to stop mentioning The Other Poster!
    Anyway, I’ll be here all week. Thanks for sticking around. Please remember to tip your waiting staff and drive carefully.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls