Upgrading online with BA – a warning

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• Anonymous

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Fellow travellers

A small warning if you are tempted to take up BA’s offer at the online check-in stage to upgrade for cash. I did this recently (Club World to First for a 12 hour flight, upgrade was around £200), and was “surprised” to find that my Exec Club account recorded the flight as “no miles and no tier points”.

This is apparently a known glitch in the system and when I rang the Exec Club they quickly corrected the entry and credited me with the miles and 180 tier points. But it will catch the unaware or the lazy who do not check their Exec Club statement.

Incidentally, can anyone top 60 extra tier points for £200 expenditure? It is a useful way to just get over the next tier mark as the end of one’s year approaches.

Senator
    Participant

Dear Cedric_Statherby,

Just wanted to check with you that a read this correctly. A one-way upgrade from CW to First was available for £200? Were you on full-flex CW fare so the fare difference was very low?

VintageKrug
    Participant

I was offered an upgrade from Club World to First SYD-LHR, cost was A$2000.

£200 sounds exceptionally low for such an upgrade. It’s usually more than that for a WT+ to Club World paid upgrade even on the shorter flights to the Middle East.

It must either be a typo or the underlying Club fare was already fully flex and therefore the gap between fully flex J and discounted F was relatively low.

Doesn’t change the fact that you should ALWAYS check your BA Miles statement, just as you would a credit card statement, and use the online form to highlight any unexpected discrepancies.

Potakas
    Participant

Hi all,
    there are the on-line offers, from BA.com through MMB and those at check in desk,

The check in prices are standard
    WT to WT+ £179 going US East coast and £300 (or £360 I am not very sure from WT+ to CW), of course you should have availability. I am not aware of other prices but everyone can ask at the airport.

The on-line prices can be different from flight to flight, for example if you are traveling in CW and it is already overbooked then BA will offer through MMB very low prices to F. For example a friend of mine had an offer of £150 from WT to WT+ on the route LHR-EZE.

Keep in mind that the on-line upgrades offers are not available for flights exUK domestic as there is a glitch with BA’s system :s

If you originate your trip ex-UK domestic you can get an upgrade air-side at T5 at the BA desks with the signs (BA upgrade offers or something similar)

Also the price for a WT to WT+ upgrade (Aat the airport) on the route LGW-GND costs £179

All those upgrades take the miles/TPs for the higher class you traveled, so yes if you got an upgrade for £100 from WT to WT+ you will get the extra TPs but most of the times you will have to call as ba.com has problems.

TIP: If you are on your way back to UK those prices are significantly lower as £60 represents the additional APD.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Greetings all

I can confirm the price; the flight was London to Shanghai and yes I did upgrade from a full fare CW ticket. I bought the upgrade when I checked in 6 hours or so before the flight. There were only three of us in the F cabin and I suspect BA didn’t much want the staff to outnumber the passengers!

On the way back the online upgrade was £400, and the upgrade if you bought it at the airport was CNY 11,000 (which I think is just over £1,000)

Cornerpost
    Participant

I had upgraded me from Business to First with points and only checked my Executive account after reading this post – no miles and no point got credited. A online request got approvaed and i am richer now in points and miles. Thanks again for the hint.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Cornerpost

Glad to be of help!

Safe travels

BlackTower
    Participant

If a CW upgrade to First is being offered so cheaply I think there is a risk you would have been op-upped anyway for free…..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I remember being upgraded from Business to First with Nigerian Airways, from Port Harcourt to Amsterdam, for $100 cash, negotiated down from $200!!!

I’m sure the check-in girl handed the money over to the airline ;-}

Danwolf
    Participant

I booked/flew on a LHR-HKG return flight. Had booked at WT+ return fare, then upgraded the outbound leg to CW for Circa GBP 500, but didn’t do the return as the upgrade fare was GBP 2.6k. Kept watching the upgrade fare, which didn’t change until all of CW was full and then they started offering First at GBP 1.6k. Didn’t bother as my BAEC membership expired a week later and would have been lost tier points, but found this price differentials ‘interesting.’

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

I have just upgraded LHR-YYZ next week – from J to F for £395 which I though was reasonable for a 7.5 hour flight – I’ve checked the fare since upgrading and its “Z” which (i’m quite confident) won’t show on my BAEC account as it would need to be F or A

VintageKrug
    Participant

Z is redemption, so you might need to manually retro-claim.

It’s bonkers they haven’t sorted this is it’s been going on for ages; having said that my last MFU posted fine so there’s no hard and fast rule as to whether they’ll post or not.

Here is the online form for retro claims:

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/retro/execclub/_gf/en_gb

AuldReekie39
    Participant

VK, Can you help?

Flew LHR TO PVG on 03Feb and my wife and I were offered upgrade from CW to First for £399 which we accepted. I note that no tier points were credited to our Silver accounts. We were each credited with 140 tier points rather than 210, 5719 miles, Cabin bonus 2830, and Tier Bonus 5719. Is this correct? Our original booking in CW was an upgrade for WT+ with miles.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

All you need to do is call the Exec club (or email them) and they will credit the correct points and miles for you

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls