Upgrade Etiquette

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• Inquisitive
    Participant

Too late for light bulb!. Your boss has already noted your dilema. You are in deep shit!. Even if you follow alt b and offer your seat to boss, in your next appraisal your own decision making capability will be questioned. Ha ha!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’d go for b, explaining why I had a first class ticket. If I were your boss I’d accept as well.

At least you’ll be able to use the F lounge with him as your guest where you can get to know him better. it’s at this point I’d offer him the F seat.

Sometime ago a girl I knew was going to Berne from Zurich by train. She had bought a first class ticket. She was surprised to see three of her directors on the platform going to the same event who were all travelling 2nd class. Instead of biting her tongue and sitting with them, she announced she had a 1st ticket and went off to sit by herself.

Three months later she was looking for another job. I’ll say no more!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

What has happened to the Queens flight, formely based at Benson, latterly at Northolt or has “flight” been disbanded.

I always believed that Government ministers could use these aircraft for official business. I do not believe it is right for cabinet ministers to be travelling in anything other than private jet or First Class, when on official busienss. 3 reasons:

1. security

2. confidentiality and people trying to take photos in “personal” situations

3. Their position in Governement

It was a great publicity stunt for Mr Cameron to fly Ryan Air with his family, but can you imagine President Obama taking his family on holiday via Jet Blue.

I do not believe that Mervyn or George should have been travelling together on a scheduled BA flight to a Washington meeting. Considering how may other officials were on board that flight paying their £4000+ tickets, a private jet should have been chartered.

The arrival of airforce 1 verses a Ryan Air arrival, the only winner would be a certain Irishman who would be up there with a smile the size of Grand Canyon.

For those who think it is extravagent and Government ministers should be flying economy, well then perhaps 10 Downing Street should be sold and the PM moves into a high rise council flat.

robsmith100
    Participant

FlightDoctor – I am not sure if this helps your situation but it appears BA still have the free upgrade offer running. Have a look and get yours/his PA to make the change.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/upgrade-to-first/public/en_gb

FlightDoctor
    Participant

I finally opted for option A but ‘fessed up to my boss’s secretary first to see what she thought he would think. Turns out he thought the whole thing was very amusing and even took time out to wind me up about it. He flies way more than I do so I guess it really wasn’t a big deal. We both enjoyed a few drinks in the First lounge prior to departure!

MarkCymru
    Participant

Almost 20 years ago, I got upgraded to First while a client sat in business. I thought she would see the funny side. The good news: 20 years on, she’s still a client. The bad news: whenever she introduces me to a colleague she says, “he’s very good but impossibly expensive. He always flies First Class. I caught him once.” The more I protest, the worse it looks

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls