Upgrade Etiquette

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Anonymous

FlightDoctor
    Participant

An interesting scenario I face next month:

1. Started new high profile job a few months ago
    2. Attending important business meeting in US next month
    3. My secretary books me return in BA Club World and I qualify for upgrade to F on return due to recent offer
    4. Discover my boss also plans to go and wants to travel on same flights as me.
    5. My secretary (covering for his secretary) books same flights but offer has expired and he is returning in Club.

My dilemma:

a. Do I front up to the upgrade and tell my boss “hard luck” for missing the deadline?
    b. Do I offer him my seat in F?
    c. Do I ask to be downgraded to Club?
    d. Do I check in at the Club counter and express surprise that I got an upgrade, or…
    e. Do I make a feeble excuse that I have to go to the airport early to buy some duty free, then hide away and try to sneak on board without him spotting?

Anyone faced a similar situation?

Potakas
    Participant

Do not do e.!!!!

If I was in your place I would possibly go for b. hopping that he will reject it 😀

BlackTower
    Participant

Its an overnight return so there is little difference as you should both be asleep. If its an issue for him then tough. I have been in this situation with colleagues, clients and competitors a lot as i book ahead steeply discounted tickets in F

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Depends how much you like your job.

I have downgraded myself to travel with clients in the past.

theavidtraveller
    Participant

I’d go for b, explaining that it was a special offer (and you weren’t wasting the company’s money on a F ticket). He will either turn it down… then you win or he will take it and you get bonus points in his mind… you also win

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Isnt there another offer on.?

Failing that couldnt the secretary contact BA and say well look we have this situation here can you upgrade the second traveller too as it will cause embarassment.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

The offer is still available – although only for full fare tickets:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/upgrade-to-first/public/en_gb?openxzoneid=302&openxcampaign=Upgrade&openxbanner=7112&openxtype=click

I would personally follow option D – and have done this in the past and then asked at the check in desk if there any chance of upgrading the other passenger!

JohnnyEnglish
    Participant

Don’t do ‘c’ as you will both lose out, and don’t do ‘e’ in case your secretary lets slip. Option ‘b’ is safe, and club world is not exactly a hardship – and you get to look good in front of your boss without having to let him beat you at golf…

I did option ‘b’ once (econ to biz) to my elderly female boss, and managed to look good not only in front of her, but also my other colleagues on the same flight. Great result all round.

rogerfoodie
    Participant

I chose a) once. Although slightly different scenario.

We a small company and was asked to attend an exhibition Melbourne as we had to travel with one of the new sharholders (that was new to our business). She had travelled a day before myself and my boss. She was nic enough to book me on a business ticket, but my boss, (whos wife works for the airline) was travelling stand by. He was in economy.

Although I did leave it until last minute (at check in) that I had been booked in business.

Henryp1
    Participant

FlightDoctor

I believe there are two options one of which you mention at ‘c’ this way you can sit together.

But you mention that you are new to a high profile job, so assume your boss is equally or more high profile. Why not be 100% honest and clarify that you will sit in 1st class and hope that he has a good flight too without adding in NCW.

To me this demonstrates an assertive and honest character who behaves well without any hidden agenda. As your boss I may feel a bit put out , but would ultimately see a strong and honest character who has integrity.

continentalclub
    Participant

This seems to be the secretary’s problem to me!

NorseFlyer
    Participant

Hey, if I’ve just started in a high profile job I’d give a lot to have access the boss’ ear or brain for a whole 7 hours. Option c) (if the secretary can keep shout) and use the opportunity to get to know the boss.

FlightDoctor
    Participant

Something just occurred to me……..what if one of you IS my boss!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls