Up in the Air: first showing

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• Scarlet-Mouse
    Participant

Thanks Wild Goose for your charming comment. (Now don’t get ahead of yourself though BarryScott – I know it’s rare for people to hit it off on this forum but Mr Goose and I have only just met.)

Anyway, no I have never thought of a career in travel writing, although I am sure it would be great. I am not sure that I would have the skills though in reality – much as I like to rattle ideas off on the keyboard when I get a chance.

It’s been a while, too, since I saw The Accidental Tourist. Saw it on a plane if I remember correctly. I seem to recall smiling fondly to myself as I caressed my glass of wine while watching it. Probably rather sad, really. But I enjoyed it on the whole. Except for the bits that drifted off into the story of his relationships – a bit like Up in the Air – could have done with less of that.

Wildgoose
    Participant

We are, of course, presuming that Scarlet is a female?:o)

JordanD
    Participant

Right, well I enjoyed it. In fact, I’ll even go as far as saying that at points, I laughed hard and shed a tear at others. This may be a sign that I’m going soft, but I like to think it’s more because it was a good film.

Well written, excellent cameo by “fired staffers” and yes, the world’s most amusing moustache, this movie moved along at quite a pace and was very enjoyable. I potentially saw bits where I realised, I wanted to be Ryan, to have his frequent flyer status and to really know the system. And maybe it’s a bit forelorn, but the “love story” wasn’t overcooked and I felt that the lead character was thus a bit more “real”.

Sure, it’s not the greatest review in the world, but definitely one of the best films I’ve seen in the last 6 months. Has ‘Oscar’ written all over it.

boxingclever

I watched this film yesterday , my only regret is i can never recover the time wasted/lost , on what i can only describe as sanctimonious clap trap. Sure its been nominated for Golden globes , Its tipped to be popular;at at the oscars , but to be honest, at certain points it was more like an advert for Hilton Hotels , American Airlines , and various other product placements.

The storyline is obvious, and lightweight , and the only only advice i can give to anyone yet to see the move is ….. don’t !… go and watch Avatar instead , at least you wont feel like you have aged 20 years during the film. of course this is only my opinion , George clooneys acting was good although he wasn’t really stretching himself lets be honest .
    I think the first half an hour grabbed me , then left me with nothing but disappointment for the rest of the time.

Wildgoose
    Participant

Looks like this film is dividing posters right down the middle!

flyingforce
    Participant

I disliked the film and then someone gave me the book for Christmas (how irritating) but I have to say the book of course is better than the film – it’s still pretty tedious but it is sharper and not as clunky and obvious as the film and you do understand a little more of the trials of a frequent traveller like ourselves – obviously not all of us are George Clooney. I still get irritated when I think of the hours wasted watching that patronising pap though and if it wins Oscars… well we all know they don’t mean much anymore.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Since I’m obviously the last person in the world to watch this there’s not much I can add to the above, but I did have to watch it, if only because so many people who don’t travel have told me I should.

I didn’t think it was too bad, to be honest.

Obviously it has no truths in it, and Bingham’s motivational talks are supposed to be inane, aren’t they?

If anyone but Clooney was playing this character, we’d see how the job he thought was perfectly suited for him has become a straitjacket.

He tries to break away and
    [spoiler alert in case there’s anyone who hasn’t seen it]

fails.
    And at least the ending wasn’t happy. In fact, it was fairly tragic.

That said, seeing it on a flight alongside the Cohen Brothers A Serious Man made you realise the film was definitely a lightweight.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls