unwritten rules on overhead lockers

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

CMoir12
    Participant

Are there any unwritten rules on where you should stow your luggage in the overhead lockers?
    Coming back form PMI last Sunday, the lady in row 4D decided that she wanted to putr her luggage above my seat in 1D. There was plenty of space above her row as she was the first on the plane! Her excuse, when challeneged, was that she was in a hurry when we landed (it wasn’t for a connecting flight as we were landing at 23.30). The cabin manager reluctantly asked her to move the bag when I complained.
    This has happened quite often, especially on BA domestic, where if you stay in the lounge until boarding is nearly finished there is no room at the front for your bag.
    Any solutions?

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

I have seen this sort of thing happen many times. Hence I dislike boarding at the last minute. Instead I try to be at the gate for when boarding actually starts. Often leaving for the gate prior to the flight being called in the lounge.

HongKongPhooey
    Participant

You should try flying CX – apart from the ridiculous amount of hand luggage people bring on, they have no respect for the designated space for other passengers.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

I have my own unwritten rule on where to put my hand luggage. i try to get on reasonably early in the boarding process to maximise the chance of my bag being above my head and not 6 or 7 rows back. If I see someone using my space that is not seated in the same row as me or a row close by, I simply move their bag and replace it with mine. If they do not like this then I get help to sort it from a crew member. a bit simplistic perhaps but so far in my experience, effective.

HBHLondon
    Participant

The best thing is to board early. However, on several occasions I had the bizarre experience of boarding early only to find BA flight attendants’ trolleys in my overhead compartment in First.

BAGoldcard
    Participant

I have been annoyed by Y class passengers who put their bags in the J lockers and then walk behind the curtain and way into Y….

Binman62
    Participant

I too have found this, especially on BA and especailly on domestic flights, where the crew refuse to deal with the issue of handbaggage. Indeed as well as this inconsiderate use of others space on BA, my other grip is the lack of control on arrival exerted by crew to ensure that First and Club Passengers get off first. On most carriers as soon as the brakes are applied the curtain is firmly shut to keep Y class back and allow club and first off. On Ba it is generally a bun fight and worse is when 2 is used forcing the first cabin to wait till club or now WT+ all clear off before you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls