United – Upgrade Advice

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

rogerfoodie
    Participant

I am due to travel to Chicago from Hong Kong on a direct flight (14 hours) with United. After reaading reviews on BT and also on the Skytrax website, which seem to point largely to ‘disappointing’ and ‘uncomfortable’ theme, I am dreading having to spedn 14 hours couped in the economy section. I am quite a big guy so comfort thing would be far worse for me than the previous travellers.

I have flown the route before, but usually with JAL or Cathay. As this trip is paid for by the US counterparts, it needs to be on a US carrier, and United seems to be the only direct option.

Can anyone provide any advice to prepare me for the flight? I have been thinking of an upgrade but need want to know the sort of prices I’ll be likely to be paying.

I am not a member of Star Alliance group rewards or their Milage Plus program, so cannot use any mileage for redemption.

Discovery-Bay
    Participant

RL,

UA, contrary to their own rules, only look at upgrades within 24 hours across the Pacific and that is a real pain.

Elsewhere in the world they are not much better and award seat availability (on UA) is a joke. Funnily enough UA are quite good at burning their own miles on other STAR partners!

I found that did not suit me and so after being a 1K for a few years and nearly 1 million miles on UA I have switched to ONEWORLD and find AA far more ‘user friendly’. I can hardly wait for the anti-trust with BA to start.

However, to answer your question, if you are not going to upgrade you can at least purchase ‘economy plus’. That gives 5 inches extra leg room that may ease the pain. I believe you can purchase per sector or an annual option ($499).

rogerfoodie
    Participant

DB,
    I take it you mean $499, US$.
    Its going to take a little justifying when I have a limited travel budget.

Maybe I should just try to brag my way into getting a Business Class upgrade!!!!

Discovery-Bay
    Participant

Yes, the annual option was US$499 – but it may be better to check on UA.com to find the cost for your individual trip.

For longer sectors like yours it seems reasonable value to me, but best of luck ‘bragging’ your way into Business class!

TominScotland
    Participant

I have only used UA international services for one return journey in economy (LHR-LAX/SFO – SYD) about 3 years ago and was given the extra legroom for each leg without asking for it – this was before I achieved * status, too. So I thought this was the norm….. until put right by friends. My memories of the journey was that the catering was excellent for economy class travel.

Read recent posts on BT about seeking upgrades without paying for them – my view is that trying to “brag” yourself an upgrade will alienate rather than help!!

YSAKURAI1
    Participant

I agree with Discovery-Bay, try opting to pay for the individual trip. I usually try to avoid UA at all costs but, last time I flew with them, NRT-LAX economy-plus was about an additional 100USD.

Also, if your counterpart is only looking at flight numbers, you could book your self on a “code-share” operated by a non-US carrier (ie: UA flight operated by ANA). The seats on ANA aren’t that large compared to UA but, at least they’ll treat you like a normal human being…

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

RogerLeung – just for fun give us an indication of how you would likely “brag” and how it would be, am sure we would all be interested in the technique, good luck!

rogerfoodie
    Participant

I tried looking on the website but gave no indication on how much I need to pay per trip price. However, if NRT-LAX is US$100, HKG-ORD may be US$175 maybe. I suppose that isn’t too bad.
    I also asked the counterparts about getting me an AA flight that would codeshare with CX, but their first choice was UA, I assume cos of price and i was direct, but I know CX do a direct flight to ORD.

As for bragging here goes:
    Assuming the computer can show who bought the ticket, (an independant US business agency), try to make out that I am the sole representative of Hong Kong, invited by the agency to attend an exhibition show in Chicago. Taking into account my size, (lets just say XL), I still need to work on my presentation on the flight and would require some more space and a little peace & quiet to get things completed. Any chance that there is a free seat in Business Class for me.
    So if you were the check in clerk, would you offer it to me?
    Answers on a postcard please!!!…hahaha

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls