United Airlines no longer allows Star Gold passengers flying economy to board using the fast-track lines at LHR

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

andrew.gill
    Participant

I was turned back from boarding UA919 on Saturday morning using the United First / Business / 1K line and told to join the 200 strong economy line.

The agent told me the line wasn’t for Star Gold but only UA’s top tier flyers or travellers in their premium cabins.

This is a change, having been flying transatlantic for five years but my FFP programme is with bmi I’ve been welcomed as a Star Gold holder in the boarding announcements.

It’s no big deal as we all get off at the same place, but just being able to get a get to the head of the line and knowing my carry-on would be in the bin above my head makes the start of the journey less stressful.

best

andrew

starflyer
    Participant

You sure the agent was not just making a mistake?

PatJordan
    Participant

Andrew,

I just checked the Star Alliance website, and it clearly shows: Priority Airport Check-in – allows you to check-in at the Business and/or First Class counter.

Maybe it’s worth getting on to United, Andrew,

Mind you, I sent an email query several days ago, received an automated response promising a detailed reply………..and I’m still waiting.

Are United beginning to show anti customer traits??

andrew.gill
    Participant

it’s possible the agent made a mistake, but she could see me, and the line of 200 people waiting to board, she could have said ‘Hey Mr Gill, i should ask you to join the other line as this is only for UA top tier ‘ but she didn’t …

andrew.gill
    Participant

Sorry if i wasn’t clear, this wasn’t check in although that had its own problems as UA doesn’t recognise bmi’s new 13 digit program numbers, so I need to go to a desk to get the right number added – it’s been a problem for UA/BD for months now and both acknowledge the problem but neither is fixing it

kawttyn
    Participant

I had the same experience with UA at Chicago airport at the gate, boarding to Hong Kong in November last year. I was told the same story that the priority boarding line is not for Star Gold, only for UA top tier and premium tickets. I have to line up with the rest at the back. Its not weather BD or not, I am a AC Star gold (Air Canada/Aeroplan). Again, I just wanted to ensure my carry-on is above my head and not somewhere else especially traveling to Asia.

YorkshirePudding
    Participant

6 weeks ago, I boarded UA flight from LHR to Denver in the priority lane…..The pre-board announcement was made very clear ie “Star Alliance Gold members may board at their leisure”

andrew.gill
    Participant

So it’s either a change in policy, or ‘agent defined on the day’ policy 🙂

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Have to agree with Yorkshire Pudding (what a lovely name). When we boarded at Singapore recently, first to be called to board were, “Business and Star Aliance Gold”.

LAXtrethowd
    Participant

I’m a United Prem Exec – equivalent to *G, one level below 1K/GS.

The boarding process hasn’t changed, in the US at least. First class, 1K and Global Services are invited to board first through the premium ‘red carpet’ entrance.

Second, Business (if applicable), Prem Exec, *G are invited to board using the economy entrance.

Then they work through each seating areas for non elites.

It sounds like the gate agent in LHR either doesn’t know the policy or was pushed for time and went for herd tactics.

andy.hall2
    Participant

United’s boarding on long-haul routes can be confusing and/or annoying. First Class, Business Class and 1K members (the top-tier) can board anytime through the red-carpet lane. Premier Executive and Star Alliance Gold are called second (as LAXtrethowd says). However, even though they make this announcement, it doesn’t mean that you can start boarding. These frequent flyers are required to queue in the normal economy boarding area until the red-carpet lane clears. Normal economy class passengers are not called unless a third line exists (in some airports only) until all PE and *G members in the boarding area have entered the queue.

HERE COMES THE IMPORTANT POINT: Any PE or *G member arriving at the gate once the red-carpet lane clears (as in when the PE and *G members are allowed to board), will have to board together with ‘standard’ economy passengers (no priority boarding). I currently don’t have to go through with this as a 1K, but previously as a PE, it sure did annoy me. Why is it that I can board freely with other *A carriers, but not with the airline I am loyal to. It’s something I have never got my head around.

andrew.gill
    Participant

I wanted to ,let you know that I used staralliance.com to report this problem and after a couple of emails, have received an apology from United, reassurance that they’ll talk to their airport operations team as well as a travel voucher

andrew

RatRellim
    Participant

Just flew NRT-SIN on Jan 8th and as strange as it may sound– particularly for Japan– gate staff only boarded United First Class and 1K members initially, then business and star gold afterward. There were several visibly disgruntled business/star gold pax, I was a little more surprised than anything.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls