United Airlines B787-9 Dreamliner United Economy Plus (mid and long-haul)

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

Dolphin500
    Participant

I can’t understand why Economy Plus is under Premium Economy, because it is not even close to what Premium Economy should be like, such as CX, NH, JL, BA, AF…The benefit of just a few extra inches does not merit to that classification. Recline is just one more inch than in regular economy, seats very narrow (I’m size 34 for your reference), but good legroom at seat 16L on the 787… The person behind kept hitting the back of my seat with his leg… with his table… with the touch screen… Add this to horrible food and service where you have to pay for the wine and for the extra piece of luggage. I changed to AA and it was much better, Main Cabin Extra it’s a superior product and DL Comfort Plus is great… great seats, extra luggage, wine and beer, great food and great service.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Thank you for sharing your experinces here on this brand new aircraft! I gather from a few friends the 787 with 9 across eating is horrendous. Furthermore with pay for drinks and it seems miserable service on UA their product offering is now VERY unattractive.

It is interesting to hear the AA main cabin extra is better, but as you say DL is now head and shoulders better than AA & UA. What is interesting is that DL is financially performing well, which shows you do not need to treat Y passengers as self loading cargo, or with contempt, to make money.

Years ago I used to like UA but they seem to be really slipping. On a plus note however when I have flown with them their food has generally been good (especially ex London Heathrow) and their US based call centres very good indeed. The Philippine based centres are hopeless in my experience, but the US based ones a credit to their airline.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

And note that this is the aircraft which UA will soon be using on the LA to Melbourne transpacific route which is a very long sector indeed.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/100265/united-to-fly-b787-9-from-lax-to-melbourne

Dolphin500
    Participant

From the on-board service standpoint, I would recommend you to find alternative options to UA… Please don’t get me wrong, 787 is a great airplane and I’m pretty sure is an improvement to their aged 747-4 LAX -SYD-MEL used before, now they are using 777. What it is happening, I used to have higher expectations with UA, now I see UA as a low budget airline and s what people in economy should expect… Probably for the same price or a bit more, people would receive a much better economy product in other airline such QF or VA, which friends of mine who made the route North America – Australia quite often, always said that QF and VA economy class is fantastic and their premium economy and business class is outstanding.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls