Unite/BASSA to Strike 20/3 for 3 Days, 27/3 for 4 Days

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Looks like Unite will resume their plans tomorrow (Tuesday), with another notice to strike; they must give seven days’ warning, so that would suggest a mid-April walkout.

I am certain BA will have learned lessons from the successful strike-busting plans put in place last time round, and should better the 80% of LHR passengers flown record, with no service interruptions at all from LCY and minimal impact at LGW.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Seem Unite is bypassing BASSA, and negotiating directly with BA.

Hence no announcement on Tuesday.

Talks resume between Unite and British Airways (from Unite website):

7th April 2010

Talks between Unite the union and British Airways aimed at resolving the cabin crew dispute resumed over the Easter weekend and are continuing, the union said today (Wednesday).

Joint general secretary Tony Woodley said: “It is welcome that talks have resumed and I am pleased that some serious progress has been made over the issues which have divided us.

“However, there is more work to be done, and further discussions will take place with the company over the next few days. I reported to representatives of our cabin crew today and explained that it would be unnecessary to set further strike dates while these talks are continuing and making progress.”

VintageKrug
    Participant

Latest seems to be that BA will perform its own poll on whether cabin crew prefer to accept the latest offer very shortly.

As up to 40% of the cabin crew do not (or no longer, having rersigned recently in disgust) belong to their Union, a simple poll run by BASSA of union members is not really an effective bellweather of sentiment within the crew community.

Would imagine nothing until after the General Election, however.

Should there be a further strike, I would call it for the third week in May or the second week in June (avoiding the actual Bank Holiday weekend, but impacting those travelling around those dates nonethless).

But there is not much to be gained by striking now, and many cabin crew have already suffered significant loss of earnings from the Volcanic grounding, so they may be little appetite to keep up refusing to accept the offer on the table.

A Hung Parliament with Gordon teetering on the brink of an abyss, could change all that, however.

Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls