UNITE UNION v THE VOLCANO

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

Extranuts
    Participant

Sitting here wondering if I will get to HK on Thursday (postponed from Sunday) I do wonder what Unite can do now.

Small minded and extreme that they are they must admit defeat to Iceland as I don’t suppose that they would imagine they could get much public support for a strike based on the level of disruption that is now in place.

I wonder if they did go ahead with raising their ‘fighting fund’ from all Unite brothers or are just hoping quietly that their loss of face will be forgotten based on BA/WW seeing them off first time. In some ways is the volcano helping BA in their long term cost reduction?

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Regular readers of my comments on UNITE will know I am not their biggest supporter, but I do find it interesting how little comment, both in the press and on the BT Forum, has been given to the strikes on the French railways during the flight disruptions of the last few days.

UNITE do not have a monopoly on self-centred, greedy and short-sighted (in)action – in fact when it comes to bloodymindedness, French unions usually win hands down!

Age_of_Reason
    Participant

The question is not whether to compare the ability of Unite and The Volcano to bring BA-Iberia to its senses, but whether Unite members can demonstrate their ability to add value to BA and its customers in the face of the Volcanic Ash Challenge, justifying their requested enhanced conditions of employment.

Cwyfan
    Participant

Remember it is the run up to the election, and their stranglehold on Labour has been blown off course with the Clegg factor

Extranuts
    Participant

Fascinating though that the media has asked for no comment during this whole incident in terms of an update as they were due to be on strike this week or next if my memory serves me right. Plus, even before the volcano incident Unite has given no update; do they hope that everyone will just forget or the Labour party has made it go away till after the election? Wonder what Superstar Cleggg would say about the possibility of a strike after this week; maybe someone should ask…

As Cedric said the French railway workers had no qualms about striking through this and I wonder if Unite has collected their ‘scargillesque’ fighting fund from all union members??? Has Unite quietly given in???

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls