Unacceptable Customer Service from SWISS

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• HarryMonk
    Participant

I’m not sure if EU261 will apply in this case. Although it applies to all flights departing from an EU airport, I think it only applies to flights arriving into an EU airport from outside the EU if it on an EU carrier.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I am sure Switzerland honours EU261 rules. I think it would be tricky if it were not to.

In any case, two Swiss airports – Geneve and Basle – offer direct access both to Switzerland and neighbouring EU countries.

TominScotland
    Participant

Good point, LondonCity. If I am not mistaken, Basle Mulhouse Airport is actually located in France but serves the three countries around it.

Swissdiver
    Participant

The problem, Cohiba, was not SWISS, it was Swissport, an appalling handling agent, at least in GVA. Standard SWISS procedure is to pay for accommodation when the traveller is away from home. If home for you in not nearby GVA, then Swissport made a mistake. Claim to SWISS and I am sure you’ll get your accommodation reimbursed (although the airline is not bound to EU261).
    And next time, do fly BA! Beyond the in-flight service (I consider better on BA), you’d arrive at LHR T5, which is far more convenient than T1.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

That’s correct, Tom. After you arrive into Basle you have a choice of exiting the terminal to Switzerland, France or Germany. I believe Geneva airport serves both France and Switzerland.

According to the EU’s website, airlines registered in Switzerland honour EU passenger rights when the flight arrives into the EU.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/

Swissdiver
    Participant

“I believe Geneva airport serves both France and Switzerland.”: this is correct. But contrarily to Basel airport, GVA is in Switzerland (with an exit to France that has nothing to envy to the late Berlin wall).

“airlines registered in Switzerland honour EU passenger rights when the flight arrives into the EU”: while this is what the linked page is telling, I still think it is wrong. To my knowledge, are bound to EU261:
    – Airlines based in the EU
    – Other airlines for flight leaving the EU
    Check Article 3.1 of the regulation (there: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:046:0001:0007:EN:PDF)

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Swiss does adhere to EU 261 and this link from Swiss’s website explains what you are entitled to.

http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/general/footer_links/conditions_of_carriage/Pages/article_16.aspx

With respect to Martyn, and while I sympathise, do not go to a Swiss lawyer. They’ll likely ask CHF 2,000 upfront to take the case and you won’t get more than your statutory rights and unlikely a judge will award costs.

BigDog.
    Participant

This should help also – it covers European rights (note not just EU)

http://www.airpassengerrights.eu/en/your-rights-a-summary.html

…The rules also apply where the flight takes place from third countries into an EU airport. In that case, however, requires that the flight is conducted by a European airline and that there are no local rules on compensation in the country of origin. The rules do not apply to overseas airlines flying to Europe from other parts of the world.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

There is a handy little app for the iPad which provides a quick guide to your rights – useful for the time you actually need it, which is of course when you are at the airport. and something has actually gone wrong.

Search for “Your passenger rights”

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls