Ultra short flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

• M.Moose
    Participant

My longest: Singapore-New York (non-stop) – it was one good experience…changed into my PJ’s and enjoyed the movies, meals and snacks 😀

M.Moose
    Participant

My longest: Singapore-New York (non-stop) – it was one good experience…changed into my PJ’s and enjoyed the movies, meals and snacks 😀

MarcusUK
    Participant

Gulf Air – in their glory days, used to fly from Abu Dhabi to Dubai, with an A340 Airbus, about 80 miles!

I did fly Singapore Airlines KUL – SIN about 18 months ago, as part of an International ticket Ex Europe.
    It was a 777 -200, and the business class cabin service still included taking your coats, knowing you by name, and a light hot meal and a drink!

Adey999
    Participant

We did an intra-island hop on HA 717 and they announced the flight time as 1200 seconds11 We were in first and got offered a drinks service and then another one as we were on approach (they took the cups away but left us the cans)

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

I have flown on a number of the Orkney routes – Kirkwall to Sanday in about 15 minutes is the shortest I have done. The main advantage, if the weather is good, is the spectacular view of the islands – on one such trip the pilot saw a whale and went down to “buzz” it, circling long enough for us all to get some fantastic photos.

I’ve never done the Westray to Papa Westray flight. But I have stood on the “runway” (ie grass strip) at Papa Westray and you can see the “terminal” (ie small hut) at Westray. Not many routes where you can stand at one airport and see the other!

Of all the Scottish airports though, Barra has to be the most special. Landing on the beach is something else – and the plane’s arrival regularly attracts a crowd of sightseers in the summer.

Shearer
    Participant

Shortest flight for me was Grenada to Union Island on “Airlines of Carriacou” in the mid 90s.

Also a Wick Inverness flight, 25 minutes, with a cuppa and cooked breakfast served (Loganair!)

begerrity
    Participant

My shortest flight was from Wrangell Alaska to Petersburg Alaska 9 minutes on Alaska Airlines which is always a great experience!!

Dominique
    Participant

I remember on the 80 a San Juan Portorico, Charlotte Amalie Virgin Island, on a 737 with AA, should be less than 80 NM

STORMIN'
    Participant

Back in the ’80s when I lived in Bahrain, I regularly took the Bahrain / Dhahran (pre Dammam) flight which was operated by a Gulf Air B737-200. Six minutes from take-off to touch-down at 2,500ft in the cruise! At the time, it was acknowledged to be the shortest scheduled jet service in the world.

JonathanM8
    Participant

Larnaca to Tel Aviv – 26 minutes flying time…..looks a lot further on a map!

westie11
    Participant

Some years ago now, early 90,s, Singapore to Malacca from Seletar, the plane hardly got airborne before it started descending, it then continued onto Ipoh and Penang, it was an old Planters route, long gone but much remembered.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

….regularly took the Bahrain / Dhahran (pre Dammam) flight …DITTO

Took that one many times in late 70s from Dhahran over to fantasy island (Bahrain)
    Used to stay at the Gulf Hotel (before it fell down)or the infamous Wimpey Club

One time we managed to get a dhow from Khobar …old saudi sailor but one of the guys got seasick so we always flew afterwards.

Take off ..orange juice …land…

Years later lots of other very short flights in Middle East, West Africa and SE Asia but not classified as offical.

jetplane
    Participant

Dar Es Salaam to Zanzibar! in a prop lane or even between the 4 or 5 airstrips in Masai Mara with Safari Link, like a flying bus!! Once we could not take off from West Mara as extra passenger sitting on coolbox in the rear, pilot not amused, we had to wait for the ‘volunteers’ to be flown to their overnight hotel – land rover engineer went along to ensure pilots returned to pick the standees up!!

feijitong
    Participant

A pretty short widebody flight is EZE-MVD (Buenos Aries to Montevideo). I also think HKG-CAN is pretty short.

transtraxman
    Participant

Liverpool Speke(as it then was) to Isle of Man in a BEA Viscount. It was my first flight and absolutely thrilling.
    The trip back to Liverpool in the ferry was such an anticlimax (also my first trip in a ferry) in comparison.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls