Ultimate Airport Dubai television show

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I already have a dinner scheduled for the 22nd…. but I feel sure it will be recorded!!!

Thanks for the info BigDog….

Schaible
    Participant

Just zapping channels.

This seems to be an advertisement movie for Emirates Airlines. Thanks, not interested in this staged promotion show!

Emirates should better spend more money into getting their dreadful and rapidly declining service straight.

Stowage222
    Participant

BigDog – watched the BBC 3 trailer from your link. It says at the bottom that the release date is 22 December!

Did I miss the programme or was this a BBC typo?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ Stowage222 – 14/01/2015 10:08 GMT

This looks as if it is broadcasting from later in January 2015.

Beyond that, if the trailer is anything to go by, this promises to be utterly, excruciatingly, cringe-makingly awful. From a public service broadcaster to a public intelligence insulting broadcaster, it looks as if the Beeb is readying itself for its Charter renewal. Or as Rupert Murdoch reputedly once said, “no-one ever failed to get rich by insulting the intelligence of the general public…”

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Schaible – 14/01/2015 03:07 GMT
    This seems to be an advertisement movie for Emirates Airlines. Thanks, not interested in this staged promotion show!

Regardless of your take on EK, this wasn’t actually a PR exercise to show them in a positive light, in fact there were a number of things which didn’t show them in a particularly glowing fashion, not least of which was there bumbling freight department.

It was a reasonably informative documentary about life at the worlds busiest airport, for those who travel a lot and spend a lot of time in airports, I thought it was worth watching, certainly taught me several new things many of which I hadn’t even considered before.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

It’s a good documentary series but it certainly has put me off flying through DXB and confirmed my hesitations about flying EK. I’m sure that’s not the intention of the Emirates and Dubai airport authorities. Recently flew on my last QF kangaroo service via DXB and very glad for I won’t be transiting Dubai anytime soon.

BigDog.
    Participant

(wrt soon to be aired Bangkok Airport behind the scenes BBC coverage – apologies for drift)
    Hi Stowage,
    The BBC ad/adviser indicated 22nd January BBC3. Methinks the trailer front has been updated due to misleading date. The December you mentioned probably related to release of the trailer but now also reflects a series start in January as AD mentioned.

Yes Anthony, am not expecting much/any journalistic/factual insight content, however as Thailand is one of my top 3 destinations I’ll still give it a look from solely entertainment perspective.

Schaible
    Participant

Thank you very much AOTG, I did not want to offend you. Just my impression.

As an example: From an objective documentary I would not expect to mention multiple times that the A380 with jet engine issues causing 15 hours delay is “NOT an Emirates aircraft”. It was a Qantas A380 which one could recognize despite avoiding showing details.

I lived in the Middle East for 4 years and can say for sure that in this part of the world immigration, customs, CID or any law enforcement organization won’t let you film the arrest and investigation of a drug case. Come on, this is not the US. Everything staged!

This is why I suspect Emirates Airlines & Dubai Airport Authority were deciding on the screenplay and financially contributing to the production. If only one of those two points apply I would clearly declare it as self promotion and PR documentary.

BTW, I have traveled to, from or via DXB well over a hundred times and never was impressed by that airport, regardless of Emirates’ sloppy service performance and the packed lounges with the flair of a fish market.

It is incorrectly asserted in this documentary that DXB is “the world’s busiest airport”! To stick with the truth: in 2014 DXB was only 7th by passengers and 6th by freight.

Stowage222
    Participant

Shaible – I remember last year watching a series on TV called “The worlds busiest………” One programme was devoted to airports. When you add passenger and freight activity they featured HKG.

Schaible
    Participant

Stowage222, you may be right. HKG is really a heavy player in air cargo! Here the top-10 airports of the year 2014 (starting from the biggest):

By passenger traffic: ATL, PEK, LHR, HND, LAX, ORD, DXB, CDG, DFW, HKG.

By cargo traffic: HKG, MEM, PVG, ICN, ANC, DXB, SDF, NRT, FRA, TPE.

TheCount
    Participant

Lacking the great characters of the BBC’s old Airport docusoap like the wonderful Aeroflot station manager, the series tried to wring drama out of the most mundane situations. I counted three uses of the word “massive” in just one episode. There was a constant annoying inference that lethal drama was about to unfold, as when a A380 (I think it belonged to Qantas, though oddly the logo had been pixilated) returned with an engine problem. The overblown commentary and shaky shots of distant lights seemed calculated to make you feel that all on board would perish. On the rare occasions when mildly interesting things did happen, such as the discovery of Snakes On A Plane, or at least in luggage, the dialogue badly needed a rewrite: “ooh, I don’t like snakes” said a harassed lady. She was almost as boring as the trainee flight attendant in Lion’s BA series who was accused of not being premium enough. The Aeroflot guy could have done SO much better. More seriously I do agree with another poster: the series slightly put me off transiting DXB. Give me a freedom-loving airport like Pyongyang any day. One felt if a sesame seed was discovered on your shoe or your credit card was declined in Duty Free, the bony-faced cop would haul you off to Death Row with a concurrent sentence for fraud.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls