UK’s CAA Gets Tough on Cabin Baggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

• conair346
    Participant

I agree with the sentiments stated already.

I’ve previously mentioned in another thread, one LH I dispatched there were a few Chinese students trying to take 5 pieces each into the cabin, which is outside the weight limitations never mind the piece limits set by LH.
    When doing TOM and TCX, while charter airlines, I try to be vigilant and challenge pax with large, bulky or difficult to handle bags. Sadly most of the time we don’t charge the pax to put any excess luggage into the hold at this late stage, I wish we would – added incentive to abide by the rules.
    When challenging pax I state its a CAA regulation which generally stops their arguing.

Sadly I have been on the other side of the argument too though. At Christmas I travelled LX and had roughly 14kg in my rucksack travelling in both directions (on top of my extra 9kg’s in my snowboard bag) and suitcase 1kg under. After a rather wild NYE I forgot to put a wash on in time for packing so I had some wet clothes to take with me and put them in my hand luggage, on the way back it was dry clothes that I couldn’t fit into my bags due to the items I’d filled them with (Nestle Cereal). LX didn’t weigh my cabin bag, only glanced at it and handed me the approved cabin baggage sticker. It fitted physically into the gauge, it was just densely packed.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

I have experienced only one airline using a carry on bag gauge at the gate, Ryanair, and they were very strict. On an Air France flight out of Italy (Turin?) I had a bag to check, the couple in front were also checking bags, and obviously planning to carry on trolley bags plus other hand baggage. The agent requested that all hand baggage items be weighed, well over weight, they were told check them or leave them, after a short heated interchange they were checked.

IMO this rarely happens, and the CAA directive is to be applauded, provided the ground staff/security/gate agents all work to the same rules. Excessive oversize carry on bags have been a source of annoyance for some time, and leads to delay and irritation in the cabin, it has got a lot worse with the high numbers of pax who now check in on line and don’t see any airline staff until the gate.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Once again this morning, some poor soul unaware of Swiss’s extremist hand baggage dimension/weight restrictions was caught out and had to re-pack at the check-in.

http://www.swiss.com/web/en/services/baggage/carryon_baggage/Pages/carryon_baggage.aspx

danpark
    Participant

Vintage Krug

Good to see that this topic is still very much alive. I hope that your observation with Swiss this morning points to a more sensible approach on the part of European airlines. Ryanair has, to its credit, been pretty tough for some time – but I am convinced that this is motivated by the earning opportunity rather than considerations of passenger comfort.

Ths situation in the USA on domestic services remains a disgrace, but as long as the airlines remain substantial contributors to political funding we can expect no improvement in legislation or best practice.

the next problem is how to deal with the people sdeated ab the back of the plane who place their oversize/overweight bags in the front bins, with the cabin crew competely ignoring this practice.

Customer comes last – as usual.

danpark

RichHI1
    Participant

I believe it is the airline’s responsibility not CAA. Carry on limits should be set by what can be carried not a blanket 1+1. An embraer 190 has virtually no space whilst a first class locker on a 777 has a lot. What is irritating is the interpretation differences. US has one set of rules, Uk another and when I last went to Brussels they tried to make me check a small carry on as it had wheels ( apparently that was the Belgian criteria at the time).
    Worst experience was vS from PVG in upper class. They weighed the carry one and told me I was some grams over their limit. So I walked back to try and repack suitcase when I realized they did not weigh computer bag, quick switch of stuff from bag 1 to computer and problem solved.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Passengers will always take on more hand baggage than they actually need into the cabin, be it airport duty free shopping or just avoiding paying for the excess baggage charge.

I think if airports have their firm rules on hand baggage and with the co-operation of operating airlines then there might be a reduction of the quantity/size of the carry-on baggage.

In some US airport where there is a 1+1 baggage rule then the ground staff will make passengers to gate check their extra pieces. For smaller aircrafts passengers are required to gate check larger cabin bags in the airbridge and reclaim them on arrival.

Some airlines such as United has signs stating the lockers are reserved for Premium Passengers. But often the FA actually encourage the late boarding passengers from economy to stow their cabin bags in the vacant First Class lockers when there is no more space left in the rear section!!

Bags will be bags and no easy way to solve this problem!

HonestCrew
    Participant

I remember seeing at an airport a few years ago (possibly Milan Linate) the x-ray machine at pax security having a plastic ‘guard’ with a hole fitting the dimensions of the largest permitted hand luggage of the airlines that flew into that airport. BA and Alitalia had the most generous hand baggage sizes. If the bag didn’t fit through the hole the passenger was send back to check-in. Good news for all concerned, apart from that passenger of course. Were the airport security paid a commission by the airlines for spotting this and allowing them to make extra revenue for the extra hold baggage charge?
    If not, it’s an idea. Stop people taking the p*ss.

RichHI1
    Participant

The Nanny state strikes again…

BeckyBoop
    Participant

any news on increasing the liquids limit? xx

SimonS1
    Participant

Not before time I must say. However there are also issues with people who do extensive shopping at the airport and turn up with numerous duty free bags. There seems a bit of a conflict there ie the airport retail community want to maximise sales but the CAA don’t want it taken as carry on luggage.

RichHI1
    Participant

I read Australia has relaxed the rules. My understanding was it is dependent on the installation of new secuirty equipment which can sense what liquids contain, so I guess we are reliant on BAA and other airport operators.

travelworld
    Participant

I’m always rather bemused by the plethora of airside shops worldwide whcih sell goods whcih on any view whatsoever won’t fit in the overhead locker…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Shopping mall or airport?

Soon have shopping carts being left at the boarding gate. Whatever next??

RichHI1
    Participant

That is why BAA have started arranging for pax to pick up their shopping when they next fly to the airport. Worrying trend but shopping is of far more interest to BAA and the govrenment than flying.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Well, the shops and the “single till” arrangements do subsidise the cost of flying; personally I enjoy the ability to shop before I fly, especially in leisure trips.

But when I purchase bulky items I get them shipped home – it’s remarkably inexpensive.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls