UK TV abroad

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)

• Ashley
    Participant

Don’t they have the exact same programs in America anyway, just with different people?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Ashey@RoomB – if only I could get Sky News or indeed any continous international news whilst in the States. Life appears not to exist beyond the eastern seaboard.

RichHI1
    Participant

TVE 1 from Spain is available on cable all over Florida pero… ¡Necesita hablar Español!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

non hablar Espanol!

Blue_Arsed_Fly
    Participant

You can watch over 50 UK TV stations & listen to over 20 UK radio channels on iPad, iPhone & PC outside the UK. Access to all on-demand, 4od, catch-up & iPlayer services, one-click TV Guide & excellent customer service via the Online pop-up box bottom right. Go ahead & ask them any queries you might have.

Free 15 minute preview from here:

http://liveabroad.televisionbbcnewstv.com/?p=5

Enjoy!

HonestCrew
    Participant

Cricket fans. Having tried many, this is the best player I have found for catching live England internationals and most other cricket shown live on Sky Sports 1&2 when away from home.
    (If anyone knows any reliable sites for Premier League footy, please post!)

http://cricfree.tv/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=2

blackabyss
    Participant

kebrum.com gives you possibility to watch UK tv from everywhere

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I need some advice from other BT posters:-

I have a home in both Hawaii and Fort Lauderdale and I would like to watch UK channels for news and others TV series as I am not mad on US programming.

I also have other homes in other non-English speaking countries.

Is there a MOBILE system where I can take it around the world that would enable me to watch UK programming?

I am not keen on taking a lot of hardware with me traversing the globe so ideally it should be virture and can be accessed in a lot of continents.

I don’t mind paying for a RELIABLE service.

I look forward to any viable suggestions.

Thank you!

RichHI1
    Participant

If you have a UK address or a friend in UK who will allow you to install a SKy Dish or cable then buy a slingbox which can be accessed then from most places around the world. There is a computer client (pc or mac) which works on laptop and also clients for Iphone and various smartphones. All you need is the slingbox in UK attached to a strong internet connection and a TV source in UK.
    Your second bet is to set up a VPN (Private network) so that all your equipment looks as though it is in UK.) You can purchase this as a service not requiring a physical presence in UK and then you should be able to access many websites that allow stored programs to be downloaded and access to some live content.
    I have used my slingbox to watch tv from UK on Kauai (North Shore) and Oahu (Honolulu ) and Kona COast on Big Island (all on Road Runner from Oceanic) very successfully for about 10 years now. I use SKY HD though my slingbox is not yet wired for HD as it requires an HDMI to component video adapter and there are issues with DRM on HDCP (copyright stuff). I record most shows to gte over the 10 or 11 hour time difference. Only drawback when I had Thomson boxes was they used to hang and I had to gte someone to reboot them. Sky have just replaced these with more well made boxes and this is no longer an issue.

Blue_Arsed_Fly
    Participant

BritTV’s been down last few days but just got an email from admin saying it should be back up tomorrow. Been using Expat Shield in the meantime which is pretty useful but no use for Sky Movies, Sky Sports & all other channels that don’t stream. Handy all the same, though & may be of use.

RichHI1
    Participant

The BBC say their Iplayer service is only licensed for the European Union. (I would be surprised if it were not the EEA).
    So with the current obsession with Europe, I suspect it will not work anywhere else on the planet.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Hi Rich: Just arrived HKG and only seen your post now.

I do have a home in London so getting a set-up like you should in theory be possible but it sounded rather technical and complicated.

Did you install this system yourself or did you ask a qualified TV technician to do this for you?

Another question: It is self running and does it require occasional re-booting manually?

Would I be able to access these UK channels through my notebook and watch the programmes in hotels around the world as well?

Blue_Arsed_Fly
    Participant

RichHI1: BritTV enables you to access iPlayer, 4od, etc. from outside the UK. As stated in my last post admin email says it should be back online later today.

Here’s a link to a review:

http://liveabroad.televisionbbcnewstv.com

RichHI1
    Participant

Chinaman, I set it up. Called support to talk me through the wireless router piece but very straightforward and took 10 minutes (you need to enable access from outside your home and I am not technical but it was easy with plug and play.
    As I said old Thomson HD Sky boxes would hang every now and again and need rebooting. New boxes much better. As a habit with all IT I reboot them every 1-2 months and they seem fine.
    You will be able to access from most places. I have had only two issues in hotels; in Chile they “broadband” at the Marriott Santiago was limited to email only and locked me out when I streamed anything. Similarly when over on Oahu one or two of the Waikiki Hotels tend to restrict your netwrok speed which gives you a lower quality picture and can be jerky at times. I would say I have had hotel problems 1-2% of the time. Only other issue was in Xian, China at one or two hotels where there was something strange in their internet configuration and I had to use a proxy server outside China to connect. (No probs in Shanghai or Beijing and that was 5 years ago so may be no longer an issue).
    I am told by friends who have good Verizon 4G service that Slingbox works well with that too.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Blue_Bottom _Fly: Just tried the 15-minute preview. I think I will subscribe to this service at GBP 9.99 a month.

Can I watch the TV programme on a larger TV screen with a HDMI connected to my notebook?

I am not warm to idea of having a lot of hardware/wireing hooked up to my home in London. Virture is best and simplier for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls