UK TV abroad

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Yes please Ardmarnoch. A detailed guide would be very helpful Thanks in advance.

heathcliffe
    Participant

All,
    One option is to purchase a VPN service online that allows you to connect to a UK based server. Buying this service has the following advantages:
    – there is no messy hardware setup/router setup. All that is required is a login and password.
    – For all intents and purposes when u then browse the web you will now see UK based ads – and all media players will act and behave as if u r in the UK.
    The other advantage is that all data over the VPN is encrypted as well so helpful if you are transmitting sensitive data ove the web.

snowbaked
    Participant

I use EyeTV on an applie device, and you need to have it running on your computer at home too. It is good, but does require a reasonable connection. It works at most hilton and marriot connections I use

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Healthcliffe,

I am very interested in this type of service. Please give me a lead on who to contact AND can I use this facility in all or most countires?

heathcliffe
    Participant

Hi Flying Chinaman
    Please note that I do not represent or have a vested interest in any of these services – I have been a user only and found them useful.
    Kryptnet
    SwitchVPN
    Google will help you locate their websites.
    All you need to do is sign up online. You will be asked to download some software and a username/password.
    You can use http://www.whatismyip.com before and after logging in to see which server in which country you are connected to.
    Please note that these services reside ABOVE your internet connection. ie you MUST have a internet connection before you can access these services.
    I cannot say whether it can be used in all/most countries – I suppose it depends whether the local ISP blocks these servers or not. But I have successfully used it in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia and connected via US, UK and Dutch based servers.
    From my experience, Kryptnet is the better of the two but more expensive.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Healthcliffe: Thanks for the info. Your personal experience is good enough and helpful for me to investigate further.

My main areas of interest are the Americas such as US/Canada/Brazil/Argintina where I only get a lot of crappy American TV programming bombarding me each time I turn the TV on and the lack of true international news.

heathcliffe
    Participant

FlyC:
    No worries.
    I always get a little paranoid about data security when traveling hence my flirtations with the VPN services.
    I can sympathise with u about watching only crappy shows…I once was stuck in Austria with 26 channels of which only 2 channels were in English…..
    Good luck!

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Healthcliffe:

I can handle all the foreign food and loving it all when travelling abroad but I also need my COMFORT TV diet as well!!

ConcordeFlyer
    Participant

Hi All.
    How does this work the other way round ?
    We are based in the UK who love to gain access to overseas TV – in particular Canadian TV ?
    We understand that satellite TV is not possible (due position of satellites) and therefore would welcome views/support on this.
    Thanks to all in advance.

Blue_Arsed_Fly
    Participant

A mate runs an awesome service that I believe to be the best of it’s ilk.

46 Sky channels including Sky Sports 1-3, all the movie channels, TV guide, on demand services & huge resource of radio channels FOR A TENNER A MONTH. No messing about with proxys & everything accessed from the one location.

click the following link for a free 5 minute preview:

http://www.brittv.co.uk/oss7/aff_go.php?u=1081&l=1

Mate who runs the site is generally always online to answer any queries via the popup at the bottom right.

HDMI cables on Amazon for less than £2 also for watching through the telly.

Perfect for those looking to save money or those living abroad looking to catch up on radio & tv from home.

Tim2soza
    Participant

BBC iPlayer now available for £44 per annum for anyone on the continent or beyond.

RichHI1
    Participant

I have used a slingbox for many years watching SKY around the world (Brazil, Mexico, China, Jaoan, Greece, Argentina, USA). I have recently gone for the HD box as I have SKY HD but not configured yet. I have Virgin 100 Mbps XXL service which normally runs 3.5 Mbps upload (it is upload figure not download that matters) and their fair use policy has never cut me off. (I now BT users who left BT because of Fair USe restrictions)
    I have had two issues: Previously i had 2 Thomson boxes which were urbbish and had to be physically rebooted regularly or they hung (fixed as new Boxes now)
    Some hotels give you a very limited download speed (256 Kb) so you get pixelated image with jerky vision. Only place I had complete block was Chile as the ISP for Marriott in Santiago only premitted email use on their “broadband” service and would switch me off after 5 minutes.
    As to the legality I am unsure of the position. I know you are not in breach of your contract with SKY and you are not making a copy within the meaning of the existing legislation. It has been possible to watch terrestrial broadcasts in other countries such as watching BBC/ITV in France or BBC in NL (on cable) and in those instances you are watching UK broadcasts in a different jurisdiction for which the broadcasting rights are not held. If it is for private viewing and no permanent copy is made in the foreign jurisdiction I do not see any issue but that is a personal view not a legal opinion.
    Other options that will work are downloading onto BBC Iplayer whilst in the UK before trip (though these are timed to expire and it could be argued taking your laptop abroad breach copyright restrictions), or download to a PVR though this is currently illegal though the legislation changes announced yesterday will rectify this.
    Using a VPN or a proxy to suggest you are located in a location other than where you are to defeat an attempt by the provider to limit access or subscribing to a service which charges for access to material it is not the rights holder for your territory are not legal.
    If you are in a Major Property in the US you should get BBC America on your TV and you can watch BBC News live on the local PBS channel.
    PS Advantage if you have Sky+ or SKY HD+ is you can record to watch in your time zone as EDT is -5 PDT is -8 and HST is currently -11.

Blue_Arsed_Fly
    Participant

46 Sky Channels, including all sports, movies, bbc, itv, channel 4, etc.

FOR £10 A MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click here for a free 5 minute preview:

http://www.brittv.co.uk/oss7/aff_go.php?u=1081&l=1

Perfect for those looking to save money or those living abroad looking to catch up on radio & tv from home.

RichHI1
    Participant

A sregards Sky News, there are European and Asian versions without the commercials and I believe there are versions in Australasia with soem lcoal origination. In the US the nearest you could get would be Fox News which uses Sky News Feeds for foreign coverage (given the common owenrship no surprise) though unless your favourite beverage is Tea you may find the Editorial Stance somewhat extreme.

renegadesi
    Participant

Hi guys, loving this thread. I have bought 2 draytek 2820’s. One is in the UK, one here in Qatar. I can VPN ok to the one in the UK, but I have also purchased a VPN service that is working fine through PPTP from my laptop. However, I’d like to configure my Draytek router here in Qatar to automatically route all traffic (preferrably by mac/ip address of device here on my Qatar LAN) through either the VPN or directly out to the internet. If I cant split by device, then to get everything to route out through the VPN. This way my UK internet enabled TVs will think they are in the UK and my wife and kids can use iplayer and itv player etc through the TV itself and not need a laptop. We already have a slingbox in the uk and a slingcatcher here, but I’d like to have the options of this route too. Thanks a lot in advance! Simon

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls