UK TV abroad

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)

• Ardmarnoch
    Participant

With regards to the varoius iPlayer options, most web sites have varying life/longevity/performance/legality. Also they can run up quite a considerable cost over time.

A neat alternative if you are a UK traveller is to change your home internet router fro the Excellent DrayTek make – such as the Vigor 2820n. These have a built in hardware (e.g. high performance) VPN that allows you to log in from anywhare you have internet access, with a simple username password, and connect directly to the UK internet – and hence obtain UK IPlayer services.

A question that is often asked – is it simple to setup (relatively) and yes it connects you directly to the UK internet without the need for anytihng but the DrayTek router (i.e. you do not need any UK computer connected at home – only just keep the router powered up!)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

the above posts interests me as it seems to solve a big problem in a very easy manner. Previously I have been able to log into UK tv sites via the web by routing through my company server and onto the www (UK IP address). Are you saying Ardmarnoch, that this solution will enable me to log into the uk WWW and have a UK IP address so that I can get streaming from the various news and sports channels like Sky Sports and other BBC channels whilst overseas AND without having to use a slingbox or keeping a computer on?

Ardmarnoch
    Participant

Hi MartynSinclair.

Yes you are correct.

Utilising a router with a high performance hardware VPN facility buit in, such as the DrayTek 2820n (about £175 at dabs.com – so not your £50 jobs) or the some of the even more expensive Cisco products, allows you to log into your UK ADSL router (note the ROUTER) with a simple username / password pair, and you can then access the WWW from your UK router presenting your UK IP address to the internet – so no problems accessing iPlayer etc.

A quick way to check that it works is to log onto http://www.whatismyip.com/ and it will show you your local IP address.

Log into your UK router via its VPN and log into http://www.whatismyip.com/ again – it should show your UK IP address.

Please note many UK ISPs give your home router a “fixed” IP address, some a “dynamic” IP address – i.e. it changes regularly. You need this to log into your router. If you have a dynamic address this is easily solved by using the “DDNS” feature of you UK router and signing up for a free DDNS service. This allows you to access your UK router using a name rather than an IP address, and handles all the dynamic stuff transparently.

Works a treat!

VintageKrug
    Participant

The BBC Trust has given the green light to an internationally accessible version of the iPlayer.

Likely to be subscription based.

chris61hickman
    Participant

Is it really possible to watch my favorite TV programs on my gadgets.
    I don’t want to miss out on my favorite TV shows even I am working abroad.
    I have a friend living in US. and his very busy working and has no time to watch his favorite TV show. but now with the help of the ITV player or any TV on internet that can watch TV abroad, he manage to watch TV show using his laptop.
    To subscribe for ITV player or getting information about watching TV abroad. try the link below…

Watch UK TV Abroad
    ITV Player Abroad

Ardmarnoch
    Participant

Hi Chris61hickman! Yes, it ireally is possible.

I am in Bangkok at the moment, and using my Slingplayer I was able to watch the Final Grand Prix of the season on Sunday – with my laptop connected to the big LCD TV. Great – and the good thing is that it is the UK commentary too.

After the GP finished I then watched, on the TV, in the same way, Saturday night’s Strictly Come Dancing, loaded from the BBC iPlayer earlier – using my VPN router in the UK as described above. Quite a pleasant evening really.

The SlingPlayer and iPlayer also have clients for the iPhone, Win 7phone etc. I have not used these, but am told they are pretty good. Then connect the tiny Western Digital WD HD TV media player to your hotel TV, and you also have all your films, video, music and photos to relax with – and no silly hotel film charges.

I have nearly 500 DVDs on my WD HD TV player so you can relax on the road too!

newUKTV
    Participant

Hallo It is pssible to watch UKTV around the woerld.
    My email: <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected]
    Let me now what You think aboud it.

pkmembers
    Participant

You can try following this step by step free guide from Watch TV Abroad
    http://watch-tv-abroad.com/report

yyresorts
    Participant

Hi Ardmanoch, I am a Brit permanent resident of Malaysia and have tried various methods to access BBC TV with varying degrees of success. Searching for a better way, I found your posts really useful and wonder whether I could prevail on you to reveal a little more.

I do have access to a personal UK broadband service, where I am at the moment, & have bought the Draytek 2820N. I have set it up and have obtained a DDNS service but here I get stuck since VPN is a completely new thing to me – Section 3.9.6 of the Manual does not provide simply instructions & I am not sure how to set up the router VPN so that I can access it from my Malaysian D-Link DIR655 and any help you can give in pointing me to simple instructions would be most appreciated.

Sorry for troubling you so close to Xmas which I would not wish to disturb, but any help before New Year’s Eve would really be appreciated since I would hope to get the Draytek router running before I return to Malaysia on 2 January 2011

newUKTV
    Participant

Hi, for seting up VPN behind a Router is the best to greate a new Networkcenction at You PC ore Laptop, conection to a Office velow the Host, Username and Passwort to conect VPN.
    The Problem is only it is streaming often stop and go.
    I am using newuktv.com it cost bud running smoth, it is not streaming, it have buffer for shapy Internet. The System is 3 in 1 Live, on demand and recording avalable.
    Hope this helps.
    Gretings Martin my Mobile +60 12 71 82 860 also in Malaysia
    It works on Streamix, Peneang Fon and also 3G Digi postpay thake the 16 Gig Plan

Tim2soza
    Participant

yyresorts – some background on VPN. VPN stands for virtual private network, and is normally used by companies to give employees access to Corporate IT systems when not in the office. Essentially VPN is an encrypted connection between two machines.

Why this is good for UK TV abroard in your case is because setting a VPN from abroad to UK broadband means that you can route all of your abroad internet traffic via your UK broadband connection. This has the effect of making the traffic ‘British’, which means that things like BBC iPlayer think you are UK based and will work.

You will first need to set up VPN on your UK broadband machine, for which instructions will be found with the manual for the broadband router. What you are doing is setting up a ‘trust’ between your UK broadband machine and your abroad one.

If you have lost the manual, so a search for it on the device manufacturer web site; all major brands offer a PDF file for the manual. You will then need to set up the abroad router to connect to the UK one via VPN.

You will need to first set up the VPN, and then set up the abroad machine to be given an IP address from your UK broadband machine.

Before you start, make a note of your ISP username, password and other settings. If it goes wrong, you can always factory reset the router. Most routers have a factory reset capability, which can be found in the router manual.

If in doubt, get professional IT help.

Hope this helps.

Tim2soza
    Participant

http://www.viewtvabroad.com is worth a look.

1 user thanked author for this post.

yyresorts
    Participant

Tim2sms summed the situation up in his last paragraph – If in doubt get professional help!

The logic of using a UK account is straightforward: set up a DDNS service and then access the UK account through a Draytek router with VPN facility. The reality is far from uncomplicated. Setting up the DDNS account is not a problem: after setting up the account the next step is to permit access to it from the overseas computer. In attempting this I followed the guide on the DynDNS website: What is Dynamic DNS? What can I do with it?” (http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/dyndns.html#whatis).

The next step is to set up port forwarding (Called Port Redirection in the Draytek Setup) and here one comes up the inadequacy and incomprehensibility of the Draytek User Manual, which provides no straightforward explanation. During my web research I encountered IT professionals being stymied at this stage, and waiting for over a month without a response from Draytek.

I entered into what I believed to be a straightforward process, but have now become stuck. To cut to the chase – Has anyone in this thread successfully set up the Vigor 2820n router so that it can be accessed using a DDNS account?

If so I would be delighted to hear from them by email to <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected] so that we can discuss the procedure and remuneration.

MarkMacdonald
    Participant

Most international hotels provide a range of TV channels (including UK programming) as standard. There is usually an industry-standard digital internet solution which many hotels will use.

Before booking, ring the hotel you are staying at to check what is provided. Some TV internet sites can take a long time to load and the quality can be poor. I have had this problem before! Hope you enjoy your trip to the US.

Ardmarnoch
    Participant

Hi yyresorts
    Firstly, my apologies for not picking up your request until now. I have sent you an email so you can contact me to get you going – no charge – we are all in this in much the same way!
    If you can contact me, I will help you through the process, which, with the DrayTek, is not as complex as you may have been led to believe. Easy to say when you know how – but the DrayTek really does make it relatively simple (and I have no commercial interest in them – just love the product for my use!)
    Once we have got you running, if there is any more interest out there, I will put together a more detailed guide for other BT readers. BT readers, let me know.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls