UK locator form – nightmare

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

I am trying to go through a combination of 2 of my biggest phobias – bureaucracy and IT.

The form is a nightmare and I cannot get further than arrival date. I have little confidence in IT programmers who never really explore the user experience. And the consequences of these forms of not getting them right are vast.
    Of course there is no customer service to help with these things.

Needed a rant but this stupid form is taking hours off my last day of holiday.

Another rant to come is the supposed day 2 PCR test which the “discounted” prices BA quote for one provider which is total fiction – yet again.

1 user thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I even wonder if the form was written by people fluent in English.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

The UK locator form is quite simple. Download from GOV.UK website and follow steps.

PCR Day 2 can be taken at any time from day / time of landing to end of Day 2, with day of arrival being day 0. Who believes discounts, BA or any other travel related “offer”. Book a Day 2 test either at arrival airport, for day of arrival, or at a test centre near your destination. I prefer going to a test centre rather than risk an “inconclusive” result, caused by my inability to self swab.

craigwatson
    Participant

This has to be one of the easier forms to fill out ever. I’m not sure how come you are having problems?

The fact that nobody actually looks at the form should make you feel better. It shows on their screens at immigration that you have filled one out. But you could put anything in the fields. It is never looked at.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1106966]Book a Day 2 test either at arrival airport, for day of arrival, or at a test centre near your destination[/quote]

If you live near a high street most pharmacies are able to procure and undertake the testing far more competitively than the hassle of going to a test centre.

stevescoots
    Participant

I have done it 3 times now and not found any issue, one of the easiest Gov forms. Cathay checked it on check in but nobody at LHR did. Also i went for the day 2 test as i was arriving fully vaccinated from an amber country. I actually forgot to do the test until day 4 and then saw the one i got (from Randox) was such a pain to get to them if you live in rural lincs as i do that i did not bother sending it, just did one of the free NHS ones at home instead. Been back 13 days now and nobody has contacted me so there is no joined up between Gov and the testing results, If they are using a trust based system then why force people to pay for the day 2 test when can use the free NHS ones. follow the money or the idiocy probably

Eastbourneguy
    Participant

Agree with the randox nightmare…they don’t make it very clear on how to get the samples back
    You are expected to drive miles away to use their drop off centres (mine was a 100 mile round trip) or use your own courier service at your own cost

Anyone who uses them needs to work out the additional cost before ordering one

2 users thanked author for this post.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Found out that my nearest Randox drop off point is at a service area on M6 Toll road, another added expense and another reason not to use them.

stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1107004]

there is article in the Daily fail today showing Randow drop boxes overflowing, not been emptied several days, samples just stacked on the floor. pretty sure if someone brought a class action for refunds its a good case. mine for sure was a waste of money

FaroFlyer
    Participant

When I am not in Faro I am a little North of Birmingham. Before the UK Gov decided to recognise AZ vaccines issued in countries other than the UK, we had to suffer day 2 & 8 PCR tests, and a day 5 to release. I used Randox at EMA for 2 & 8 and they were very efficient, with results in less than 10 hours. Going from Lichfield to EMA was a pleasant, and totally legal, trip out. For Day 5 we drove to a DAM health test centre between Cannock and Wolverhampton, again a pleasant drive out, and results in about 8 hours.

Steve Scoots, you are not allowed to have an NHS PCR test. This is clearly stated on the GOV.UK website, and there have been several cases of travellers being turned away at airports because the tests had been NHS, not private tests. Although I am the opposite of a fan of this Government, I believe that they are right in this instance.

craigwatson
    Participant

Well in reality you are just paying for what you need. Namely the proof of booking to put on the passenger locator form. Who cares if the tests are actually done.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Thanks for replies so far. Doing my locator form with something of a slight hangover or indeed “resaca” was probably not ideal. And was the first time this year. But due to other things which will come up in a separate discussion I am now well acquainted with the form (!).

I may add to this discussion following big hurdles to getting back into UK (! thanks to an awful Iberia experience) re the Day 2 Test…

stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1107032]

Correct you cannot have one for leaving UK, mine I took for arrival, the free home test ones and as this farce with randox shows there is no monitoring or security of samples anyway. My daughter has a pile of them that they gave out at the grandkids school. Legal or not i really dont give a damned. If those free NHS home tests are good enough for the govt to confine you at home, keep kids out of school, people out of work and while ministers feel its legal to not isolate when they are pinged, fly around to red list countries and not quarantine in a hotel then i will use my personal judgement coming fully vaccinated from an amber list country that i have been totally isolated in for past 6 weeks 🙂

4 users thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1107038]

Agree and thats exactly my point, as these are not monitored by anyone at govt you are just paying for a number.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

The only problem I had with the locator form was when transiting the UK through different airports. I was arriving at LHR and departing later the same day from STN. When completing the form you have two choices to make:

– Stay in the UK

– Change flights in the UK within 24 hours, without going through UK border control

As I was transiting, I initially chose the second one as it seemed the closest fit, even though my transit would require me to pass through border control. After working through the rest of the form it turns out that is the wrong choice. You’re supposed to select “Stay in the UK” and then you’re later given the option to state that you’re doing a landside transit.

That’s totally unintuitive. Who would choose “Stay in the UK” when you’re transiting and flying out again a few hours later? There should be a third option there “Change flights in the UK within 24 hours, but going through UK border control”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls