UK govt suspends flights to Sharm el Sheikh

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s just been announced that the UK govt has told UK airlines to suspend all flights to Sharm el Sheikh until further notice.

UK govt now advising against all but essential travel by air through Sharm.

Passengers on the ground in Sharm will be returned to the UK either on their original or earlier flights.

SimonS1
    Participant

I don’t understand how passengers will be returned on their original or earlier flights if all flights are suspended?

Sounds to me that either they will need to be transported by road to Cairo (long trip), fly via somewhere else (unlikely) or stay put until further notice.

TominScotland
    Participant

SimonS1 – with a non-UK airline?

SimonS1
    Participant

AFAIK there aren’t any non UK airlines on the route and I can’t see the government allowing it anyway.

canucklad
    Participant

It does bring into question, how as travellers we take for granted levels of security at some airports abroad.

How many of these evil vile immoral nutters have now infiltrated security and are now implanted into airside jobs, just waiting for an opportunity to do us infidels damage as we head home ?

If you thought about it at all, you’d be a paranoiac wreck !!

JohnHarper
    Participant

canucklad – 05/11/2015 10:12 GMT

I couldn’t agree more and I hope the UK government are now re-screening the goons operating security at UK airports.

I have more confidence in security at places other than LHR where they appear to only follow a set mantra of petty rules rather than demonstrate any intelligence at all. Then again given the calibre of people operating security at most UK airports perhaps intelligence is too much to ask.

superchris
    Participant

Awful situation. I cant help thinking though that a bomb on board is the ‘best’ result it could have been. For the aircraft to disintegrate of its own accord or the realisation that these people have access to weaponry capable of shooting down a plane at 32000 ft would have been frightening.

At least if a bomb has been smuggled on board, it is within the power of the authorities to address this.

Ive said for a while though that Im concerned at the state of security at overseas airports, particularly leisure routes where they just seem to turn a blind eye.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

My question is whether we would be suspending flights from A UK airport had a similar incident happened with a UK originating flight – or one from another “Western” country. Horrible situation though and like SuperChris says perhaps a bomb onboard is the “best” explanation it could have been.

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

As others have said, I agree that the bomb is the “best” explanation – which is in stark contrast to the terrible accident of JAL 123 which I was amazed I had never heard of (or at least had never really taken in the number of fatalities and the cause).

C

canucklad
    Participant

What really concerns me is the idea of sleeper cells, or probably more likelihood the blackmailing or even worse the complicit agreement of locals.

“We behead your family in the name of Allah, if you don’t ………..”

Am I worried about complacent security guards…Yes definitely!!
    Am I more worried about Baggage Handlers, Catering Crew, Refuellers and maintenance men who access to my aircraft, as it sits on the ground at an airport in a region blighted by these uneducated mongrels………..

Damn sure, it totally scares the s****e out of me !

And why are the authorities using the altitude of the aircraft as a reason for dismissing out of hand, the missile option. ? MH17 wasn’t exactly skimming the roof tops !

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Latest news is that UK airlines are being allowed to operate some repatriation flights into Sharm tomorrow in order to rescue customers.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Currently it’s a confusing situation. These rescue flights were supposed to leave today but according to reports, some are cancelled/suspended for today.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/nov/06/tourists-return-from-egypt-amid-reports-bomb-in-hold-downed-russian-airliner-live-updates

SimonS1
    Participant

Listening on the radio it all seems very confusing. Suggestions that the Egyptians are blocking flights as part of a tit for tat, hotels trying to extract cash from stranded tourists and the British Ambassador speaking with the media but trying to avoid Brits stuck in the airport.

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

Latest update from BA:

Sharm el-Sheikh – Operational Update

Following additional information from the UK Government throughout Thursday 5 November concerning flights between the UK and Sharm el-Sheikh, British Airways has decided to resume flights from this part of Egypt.

We understand the current situation is difficult, but we are complying with the UK Government’s extra requirements and the safety and security of our customers and crew is always our top priority.

The following is the latest situation regarding British Airways’ services to/from Sharm el-Sheikh.

BA2560 departing from London (LGW) to Sharm el-Sheikh (SSH)
    • 05NOV – Initially delayed for 24hrs, this flight has now been cancelled as a result of UK Government advice not to carry any further customers to the resort.

• 07/09NOV – departures are also now cancelled.

BA2561 departing from Sharm el-Sheikh (SSH) to London (LGW)
    • 05NOV – will operate but now on Friday 06NOV and with significant extra security measures. Current timings are 1805/2150hrs.

• 07/09NOV – at present will operate as scheduled

• Advise customers to arrive early for these flights as the airport terminal is likely to be very busy

• Following UK Government requirements, customers departing from Sharm el-Sheikh must comply with the following :-

HAND LUGGAGE

Customers will only be allowed to take two small pieces of hand luggage on board the aircraft with them. The maximum size of each piece will be 40cm by 30cm by 15cm (16in by 12in by 6inches).
    One piece of hand luggage will be fitted under the seat in front and one piece will be placed in the overhead locker.

We suggest that these two bags contain all essential items such as telephone, keys, passport, medicines, money, camera, computer, childcare needs etc.

No larger hand luggage items will be allowed onto the aircraft.

HOLD LUGGAGE

The UK Government has informed all carriers that departing flights back to the UK will not be able to carry any hold luggage.
    Customers will be able to check-in their hold luggage but it will NOT be allowed to travel on the aircraft. It will be stored in a secure location at Sharm el-Sheikh airport and the UK Government are making arrangements for this to be returned to customers in due course.

Ba.com will be updated with more information about the logistics of this process once they have been provided by the UK Government.
    Customers will be asked to fill in a delayed baggage form on board the aircraft on their journey home, to help ensure that their bag is delivered to their home address as quickly as possible.

If customers have a child’s buggy, then this will be treated as hold luggage and will not be allowed to travel on the aircraft. We will provide extra buggies and customer service teams on arrival at Gatwick and are very sorry for the difficulties that this restriction will cause families.

For Agents

• For cancelled flights, use rebooking/refund options from standard customer guidelines

• For customers on flights still operating, options available to change their travel date or choose an alternative destination – please refer to the customer guidelines

• Advise customers to keep checking ba.com for latest information
    • Please advise departing customers from SSH of the above baggage requirements

• Customers need to arrive at SSH Airport for their flight departure in good time as it is likely to be extremely busy

• British Airways apologizes for the difficulties that customers are facing in Sharm el-Sheikh. We are doing all we can to minimize disruption at the airport, with extra teams from British Airways and our ground handlers in place to help customers.

Regards,
    British Airways

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls