UK government investing in new airline start-up

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• tomwjsimpson
    Participant

UK gov are investing in a new start-up airline – never mind is this the right time to do so, but, is this right given they have refused support to existing UK airlines?!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Is this the airline in question ?

https://www.flypop.co.uk/16/308/flypop-announces-investment

1 user thanked author for this post.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

Indeed, I thought I’d inserted a link but it didn’t come through!

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

According to the Telegraph, the funding in question amounts to £1 million. Good luck to them, they’re going to need lots of it (and many more millions).

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

I first reported on Pop back in 2016:

POP Airline targets UK-India flights

Alsacienne
    Participant

I’m surprised they haven’t considered backing Atmosphere Intercontinental Airlines UK ….

canucklad
    Participant

“It will cater not only to the UK’s Indian/South Asian diaspora (and their visiting friends and relatives) but will also serve those keen to explore the Indian sub-continent and region with very low-priced flights.!

Sounds like another attempt at making a success of a long haul LCC !!

Kudos to optimism , naivety to realism

FinnKZ229
    Participant

The name sounds very similar to the airline dreamed up on an episode of the Apprentice. It was presented to a large number of travel experts at Waterside who found it badly named and very amusing.

2 users thanked author for this post.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

Indeed – Jet Pop – with the ‘o’ replaced with an explosion …

LHRSENflyer
    Participant

Amazing timing. I presume this is part of the “strategy” to throw money at the north of England and to secure these amazing post-Brexit trade deals

jjlasne
    Participant

Not quite sure why Her Majesty’ s Government would invest in a start-up airline in the first place and I find it wholly unnecessary in the second place.

But that’ s me.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1016046][/postquote]

Me too. My FIRST (not second) thought on hearing the news was to check the calendar and see if it was in fact April 1.

2 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I wish them well, but wonder why they think they will succeed when so many (if not all) of these low cost long haul airlines have failed?
    I give them 12 months from start, and I’m being generous – though I hope I’m proved wrong!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

This airline will be about carrying VFR traffic and that’s low yield.

In any case existing airlines already cater for this market both direct and indirect.

And since Jet failed at couple of other Indian airlines have appeared on the scene as we have reported recently.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

It will always be difficult for LCC to undercut “legacy” carriers significantly on long haul routes while there are ridiculously high government taxes and airport charges to factor in…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls