UK exporters call for more trade support

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• ArthurDimlock
    Participant

I would not tell the US how to run the country, but BA is getting a free boost from appearing to be the UK official airline, but not acting like it. If other companies wanted to use the term British, I think they should pay a royalty as they are freeloading otherwise. BA can choose to lawfully reduce legacy costs, the air stewards/esses strike was in response to an example of how (the union was stupid in that case and misplayed the situation, frankly BA could have released all crew and re-hired and it is a sign of a responsible employer that they did not lock out the crew.) The legislation in the UK allows more freedom than in many countries, even if employment is rightly protected and not at will like the US.

SimonS1
    Participant

So if “British” is so valuable, why has no-one else decided to use it.

British Worldwide Airlines? Maybe a reincarnation of British United Airlines? Although I suppose British Virgin Airlines might be a bit confusing. Unless it offered tax advantages 😉

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Simon1
    Not agreeing with the point about paying for the word “British”, my company also uses the same word.
    But here’s a point about its value, best made dependant on how you answer the question below.
    What airline is most likely to be targeted by a terrorist organization with a gripe against the UK?
    BA, Virgin or Monarch?

SimonS1
    Participant

Well presumably BA simply because it’s biggest. In the same way that BA attracts more comments on here than other airlines.

If Virgin was the biggest airline at Heathrow it would be the opposite.

canucklad
    Participant

Rightly or wrongly, I was thinking more along the lines of the Kudos gained by attacking a business connected to , or even deemed to be part of the “British” establishment.

SimonS1
    Participant

Not sure. I would have thought there was also kudos around targeting say an A380.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

We seem to have wandered a bit here. Granted a good route network from the home airline is useful, but no airline can cover every destination in the world, and from past threads on this forum it’s clear many of us use airlines other than BA to reach our existing and would be customers and are quite successful doing so.

What I’m wondering is what practical help would we like to see from the DTI or government. I mentioned earlier visas, both a headache for the exporter, but also a migraine for those clients wishing to visit the UK.

A South African friend of mine is opening the Southern African market for a London based company in the beauty and personal care field. She needed to visit London to meet the directors and sign contracts but could not get a visa due to a minor complication. The result was she had to fly to Dublin via AMS instead of BA direct to London. The directors then had to fly from London to meet her there.

Many years ago the then British ambassador to Yemen would hold on a Wednesday evening I think it was, a get together for any British businessmen in town. Invites would be given to them by the two main hotels in Saana. He would hold a round table briefing at his residence after which there was a simple reception held for them at which were local businesses who had been invited to network. These were a great success and I made many contacts at them. This could be introduced globally.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls